Monday, June 30, 2014

I'm not ready for this

I remember this phase with Evan…and I'm not ready for it yet with Emma!

There are a lot of things that I've become more lax about this second time around, but watching Emma stand all wobbly and then topple over is not one of them.  I just gasp every time I see it and yet know that my gasping makes it worse than the fall probably was on its own.  So far she hasn't cried a bit, but luckily she also hasn't hit anything hard with her head or face on the way down…yet.  That's probably only a matter of time. I remember a few times that Evan had shiners because something met his face really hard as he fell down.  I'm just not looking forward to that phase again…and yet here it is upon us already.

Here are some examples from yesterday.  The first example was when I was just taking some photos of her from behind to show off that cute ruffly butt outfit I put her in (isn't it adorable!?)…then suddenly as I was snapping photos she was on her feet!?  She can so far only pull herself to her feet like this with support items that are not too tall…the couch/ottoman is too high for her so she can only get to her knees from it so far.  But her carseat or other shorter objects are prime targets for her to get to her feet.


Since the ottoman is soft (thankfully!) and a good height for her to stand and hold onto, I sometimes will help her get to her feet by it (she gets to her knees and gets upset sometimes otherwise).  However, yesterday when I did this I was snapping photos of her standing when she had a little fall.  She had tried to reach for the blue stacking up that she had just knocked off the ottoman.  Sadly, the fall was caught on camera as I had just hit the button to snap a photo when it happened and so I wasn't able to catch her in time. :(  

Whoopsie!

She didn't get hurt when she fell, luckily, but I gasped all the same.  It happened so fast and now that she pulls herself onto things it could happen at any time.  Having to watch after Evan too only makes it harder for me to be able to always be right there next to her to try to catch her more.  Seriously…I'm not ready for this! 

No comments: