Sunday, August 26, 2012

Packing up the pump

It is truly the end of an era for me.  This era, which shall be named "The year of the pump", was full of ups and downs, happiness and tears, and full bottles and even some practically empty ones.  In the beginning, pumping was a challenge, especially because I only had a hand pump the first few weeks and I didn't really know what to do, when to do it, and how to do it.  I can clearly remember a few times trying to pump (to start building up my stock for going back to work) and nothing would come out.  I cried worrying I didn't have enough milk for my baby.  Then when I got the double electric pump things got easier, but there were still hiccups to be had.  Moments when I forgot to bring the little white round membranes with me to work, which are crucial for the pump to suction right, to having an extra one of those white membranes stuck in the pump connector which made the milk get backed up and sucked down the tubes before I realized something was wrong!

I just now packed away all of my breastpump parts, bottles, and every little thing that goes with pumping (the hands-free pumping bra, which I couldn't have done without), the handy dandy tote bag (which dubbed as my purse on many occasions), and even my nursing cover.  Even though I am still nursing, I'm only doing it at home in the morning and night, and thus don't need my cover for outings, nor for pumping while out and about, which is what I tended to use it for most lately (once Evan became a wiggly pre-toddler there was no way he'd hold still under a cover anyway).  Thus, the cover became a staple in my pump bag and came in handy for the "on the drive" pumping sessions I had to do here and there, or even when I shared an office for a short while with another new mom.

After packing it all away, I did feel a little sentimental.  I stopped pumping during the day at work about a week ago, and I was able to do that without batting an eye.  In fact, it was quite relieving to have one less bag to pack and carry to work with me.  But packing everything away for storage felt a little bit different.  Just as when I pack away the last size of clothes, it just reminds me that time keeps marching forward and those moments when Evan was a baby are becoming more distant memories now.  And so after having that brief moment lamenting the end of the pumping era, I decided to blog about it.  It's the best way I know how to keep these memories from fading too far into my past.  Well at least until my pump parts are needed again.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Way to go! I hated pumping and was not sorry to say goodbye to the pump. :) Then again it was always disheartening to pump for 20-25 minutes and only get 2oz total. I'm very impressed you did it for so long!