Sunday, August 19, 2012

The 1-year check up

Evan had his one-year doctor's check up on Tuesday August 14.  During his appointment he got measured, the basic check up, and then some shots.

His new measurements are...

Weight: 20 lbs 4 oz (diaper on, maybe wasn't quite empty?)--31st% so right on track with where he's been

Length: 30 1/4 inches -- 61st % so he's grown in the height department and moved up in the percentiles.  Guess he's gonna be a tall guy like his daddy. :)

Head circumference: 45 1/2 cm -- 31st %

During his appointment he let us know on numerous occasions that he didn't like being touched by the nurse or doctor...during the measurements, the eye/ear/chest exam, and he definitely didn't like the tongue depresser in his mouth or the shots.  The doctor said he doesn't have many teeth for a 1-year old, but she thinks that's good because it's less chance for tooth decay.  However, she did advise us we need to brush his teeth after nursing for the night, but I've found that to be difficult as he sometimes is so drowsy afterward.

We were also advised to wean him off the bottle to sippy cup very soon.  And after explaining our encounter with Evan getting some hives after having strawberries, we were advised to hold the strawberries until we can do an allergy test...which we chose to wait until we've introduced some of the other more allergenic foods, in case we need to test for more than strawberries.

Other than that, all foods are now okay for him to try, except those that'd pose a choking hazard.  Thus he still needs to try fish, egg whites, nuts (any kind, tree or peanuts, finely chopped or in spreads), and citrus fruits.  I hope they all are okay with him!  Even though our family doesn't have a history of lots of allergies, I just know so many parents of kids who have serious allergies now that I am so much more aware of it, and thus hoping that my children don't have any, as it can be quite terrifying and difficult to always limit their exposure (especially when they head off to school).

1 comment:

Amy said...

It's funny, I won't know for sure until her 15 month appt, but I think he's about the same height as Nora but about 4-5 lbs lighter. Good luck trying all the new foods! Hopefully you find out he doesn't have more allergies
(and I'll keep my fingers crossed that the strawberries were a fluke).