Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mama the phone

Evan's most common words are indeed "ma ma" and "da da", as is the case for most one year olds.  And I'm pretty sure he knows the meaning of those words, especially for his daddy.  However, I'm starting to wonder if he thinks mama is the phone rather than me!  This would be because I've called home while John's watching Evan or John's called me at work while they are home enough times and we've tried to let me and Evan "talk" during these calls.  So envision something like this for a pre-toddler:

Daddy gives Evan the phone and says "It's mama.  Say hi to mama."

Evan takes the phone, tries to put it in his mouth, pushes some of the buttons, and occasionally says "ma ma".

If you were that young child, what would you deduce from the frequently recurring situation?  I'm guessing that the lasting impression in his mind is that the phone is mama!  And I think we're confirming that now because whenever he sees the phone, he says "ma ma".  Oh my, what have we done!? :O

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He's obviously broken, of course he's just out of his 1 year warranty! figures...maybe we can trade him in on a newer model??

Amy said...

Haha- Nora did this too for awhile. We'd say "Point to mama!" and she'd point to herself. I was like, what the heck? and then I realized I would ask her that question and then point to myself. So she thought she was supposed to point to herself when we said "point to mama". Lol. It's so fun watching them learn.