Thursday, June 28, 2012

Random motherly thought

You know that phrase "There's no use crying over spilled milk"?  Well, I've been thinking about it lately and I am pretty certain that a mother would have never created such an expression.  Because if you are a nursing mother like me, who is struggling to meet the milk demand of your child as it is, you may just have a different opinion on the matter.

For example, a pumping mother will spend at least 15 minutes hooked up to a milking machine (aka breast pump) multiple times per day, and even at times when you wish you were/should be sleeping.  And this is for a mom, like me, with a double electric pump.  For those mothers using single hand pumps, this time may easily be doubled or more.  Then if after all that time spent hooked up to the milking machine you happen to accidentally knock over the bottle of freshly-pumped milk, spilling it everywhere and making it useless for your child, don't you think some tears are justified?  And for moms using the single hand pump I would think they may want to throw an outright tantrum!

While this luckily did not happen to me, it did nearly happen the other day while I was at work.  I had just finished pumping and I did knock over one of my bottles, but it still had the pump parts attached so only a few drops got out.  You have no idea how much my heart was racing at the thought that I could have just lost that precious ounce or two of milk (sadly, that's all there really is each pumping session these days...).  Plus, the thought of crying if it had spilled definitely crossed my mind, and probably would have helped me feel a little bit better.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I totally did that- spilled a whole bottle when I went to put the pump parts away. And I did cry. :(