I really wanted outdoors photos with a nice lush green background. Given our horrible drought this year, that wasn't actually very easy to find and I'm glad we did it in May because if we'd waited any longer into this hot and dry summer we may have missed out entirely! We went to the CU-Boulder (University of Colorado-Boulder) campus since there are a lot of green spaces and big green trees, along with pretty stone buildings and architecture.
We hit the road from our house about 8am that day, since it's about a 30 minute drive to Boulder, all dressed nice and ready to go. Things seemed to be going fine until we were a few blocks from CU campus and I looked over at Evan, only to find he had just fallen asleep! "Oh no! What would we ever do?" I thought as we pulled into campus. Well, he easily awoke as we arrived and so I thought, "okay maybe we'll get lucky and he'll hold out for us." And to some extent he did, as he seemed pretty happy for the first couple shoot locations, but very quickly he grew tired of this "hold still and try to look at a cameraman I've never seen before" game.
However, Evan didn't easily look to the photographer when he called Evan's name, nor rarely thought the photographer was goofy or funny enough to smile at. I attribute those obstacles to the fact that Evan didn't know the photographer. Evan's rarely been one to easily open up to strangers. So perhaps we may have fared better if the person holding the camera was someone he knew, or if there was still someone he knew standing behind the photographer to catch Evan's attention. Up until now when I'd taken him to get portraits, I was always there to make him laugh and smile because I was not in the shot!
Then with the fact that we were on borrowed time with Evan from the moment he dozed off in the car, we really got lucky that we got some of the shots that we did. Granted, Evan really wasn't smiling in any, unless it was with me holding him and playing with him to make him happy. It did make me feel really special that Evan would hug onto me a lot, as up until that point I didn't know just how much he would cling to me in uncomfortable situations. Regardless, the moment we posed for a picture where we all had to look to the photographer together, Evan was back to being a non-smiling and a very squirmy baby. I guess he looks more natural in the photos as a result.
Anyway, I've shared all of the final shots on Facebook, and will just share a select few here, since they are very large files. I am pretty happy with how they turned out, even though I didn't get some of the poses I had hoped for. The good thing is that we still have time for that...and will just have to try to have another shoot (taking into account all the lessons we learned from this past one) sometime again in the near future!
A nice family shot.
Probably my favorite family shot.
I absolutely loved all his cuddles!
This was the last pose we tried...I really wanted one of these shots of parents waist-down holding a standing/walking baby...but Evan was not in the mood. Poor guy.




2 comments:
I love the first shot. He has a very quizzical look on his face like "who the hell are you?".
Yeah, he definitely had that look in many of the shots, and I don't blame him really. At the same time, Evan is a pretty serious boy a lot of the time, always curious to check out his environment and the people in it, and so quizzical looks are fairly common for him. :)
Post a Comment