Sunday, June 10, 2012

Repeat after me


Evan is really doing a lot of imitating these days.  He is hooked on a few sounds, however, that he repeats and says a lot.  He has perfected saying “uh oh”, so that even his intonation matches ours when we say it.  He says it when things fall/drop, when music stops, as well as at any other random time that he feels like saying it.  I think he’s in a stage where he’s really repeating sounds to practice them and he’s gotten a lot of positive attention for saying “uh oh”, as well as we say it a lot ourselves when we’re around him (i.e. “uh oh, you dropped your cheerio”, or “uh oh, you spilled your water”, etc).  It’s just a word we use so much with him that he’s really picked up on that I guess! 

Check out a video of Evan saying “uh oh”

He’s also working on perfecting “dada”.  He practices saying it sometimes with a hard “d” sound at the end (so it just comes out as “dad”).  He definitely says that word a lot more when John’s around, so I’m guessing he’s starting to associate it with him. 

He’s also started using his hand to move his lips and make a “bloo bloo bloo” sound.  I really don’t know what this sound is called, but it is a very typical sound I associate with little kids.  Just to help make this point, I have a video to share where he’s making this sound during dinner time last night.

Check out the video of Evan’s new baby sound

What I really got a kick out of last night, was after I took this video I decided to play back both the “uh oh” video that I took earlier.  While it was playing he heard himself saying “uh oh” and he broke out of his lip sound-making to saying “uh oh”.  Then to test this, I played back the lip sound video and he went back to making the lip sound.  Thus, he really is in the imitation mode.  However, he definitely responds better to hearing himself make those sounds than just me trying to coax a certain sound out of him.  I wonder why that is? 

Either way, this just means that I need to try to capture “mama” on video so that I can play it back to him a lot and get him to practice that one more often! J

No comments: