Saturday, June 2, 2012

"Ma ma"

Wednesday started out just like any other evening this past week...I was feeding Evan dinner after a long day of work.  He was refusing to eat his baby food, just wanting puffs or finger foods, so I felt like I had to be creative in how to entice him to eat something off the spoon.  I was just dipping up another spoonful of baby food when I heard the most beautiful sound uttered by my son: "ma ma ma ma".  It was in his higher pitch "singing" voice and it was angelic!  I dropped the spoon and started clapping and saying "ma ma ma"back with him, and that's when he switched to "ba ba ba".  It guess it makes sense that to him a 'b' and an 'm' sound are probably very similar in how you make it.  He could tell I was excited about something though and joined right in clapping and being all giddy with me.  The moment was priceless; to hear the "words" I had been waiting to hear all this time.

He didn't say much "ma ma" then for the next day or so, but last night at bedtime was yet another priceless moment that I will cherish forever.  Let me preface by saying that some nights Evan falls asleep during his bedtime nursing session, which means he easily just stays asleep when I place him in his crib.  On nights when he's still awake while I put him down, he usually gives me this really cute smile after I finish singing him his bedtime song (Twinkle twinkle, little star), and I can't tell you how much I love that.  Such a peaceful and content smile from my sleepy baby.  Well, last night instead of the smile at the end of the song, he actually just laid there looking at me and said "ma ma" in his sweet, soft and high pitch voice.  My heart melted.  He continued to say it every now and then as I slowly walked out of the room saying "night night" to him.  Oh my...I didn't want to leave him, it was so sweet.  I could have basked in that moment forever!

Evan is certainly learning to talk.  While he may not know for sure that I am indeed "mama" yet, he is using "uh oh" in appropriate situations and he also seems to be uttering "cat" when he sees the cat.  He also is starting to always say the same thing when he sees his daddy ("ahh da da") so I think he also is associating that with him appropriately.  As always, I am so amazed with how much he learns so quickly. And for now, I'm just glowing with pride that my boy is finally saying "ma ma". :)

2 comments:

Louise said...

Congratulations Ma Ma!! The two most beautiful sounds in the world, Ma Ma and baby laughing :)

Amy said...

So sweet! I love those words. :)