Saturday, August 23, 2014

She found her balance, and her eyelashes

It seems to never fail that right after I post a monthly update on one of my kids, they do something brand new the very next day.  This month it was Emma standing solo.  Now, she didn't mean to do this just yet, but she had just pulled herself up on me while I was sitting on the floor.  Yet, Evan was also playing with (i.e. wrestling around on) me too and for some reason I moved my arm that Emma was holding onto for balance to do something with Evan.  John was watching and saw what Emma did next…she wobbled to and fro…but the end result was her standing on her own!  I caught a glimpse of it just as she plopped herself back down onto her bottom.  I clapped for her and said "yay!" and then she decided she should keep trying it over and over again.  Unfortunately she didn't manage to keep her balance many of those repeat tries.

I had been noticing that she let go of objects she was using for balance a lot now, but she was usually still balancing herself by leaning against the object.  Yet, it's clear she's really starting to find her balance.  Moreover, she pushes the walker toy along now and walks with it.  Prior to these past few days she'd push it along and "kneel walk" with it (meaning it would get too far in front of her so she'd fall to her knees and then she'd continue pushing it while on her knees…it was pretty cute!).  But now she loves pushing it around and staying on her feet.  She did have quite the spill with it though a few nights ago, where she fell backward and brought it with her so it came over top of her and bumped her in the head as well as landed on top of her.  She got quite the fright from that, but not enough to keep her away from it for good!  She's back to pushing it all around our living room.

And the latest thing that I found fascinating about Emma is how today I caught her using her new pincer grasp to pull at her eyelashes!  What a fine motor skill to be able to do that!  Of course I hope she realized she shouldn't pull too hard.


No comments: