Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween celebrations: Part I

I'm so glad that John is starting to get more Saturdays off lately.  Besides all the family time we get on Tuesdays and Thursdays (his normal days off--which I am *loving*), he's also been taking Saturdays off and since there are just some things that happen on the weekends, it's been really nice to do more special family things.  For example, we went to the local pumpkin patch a week ago Saturday, and then yesterday was our local town Halloween parade and "trick or treat street" (where the downtown businesses all hand out candy to the trick-or-treating kids).

Now that Evan is old enough to say trick or treat and even eat candy (though I hope not too much for the sake of his lil teeth!), I wanted to find a fun and safe trick or treating experience for him.  The town  "trick or treat street" was perfect, plus we got to march in the parade and show off all our of costumes!

Evan was Thomas the Tank Engine, an idea I had come up with earlier this month given how much Evan has really been into Thomas lately.  However, when I first got the costume home he didn't want to wear it, despite being excited to see it.  I think he was a little afraid of putting the strange thing over his head.  Luckily, this past week he suddenly wanted to wear it...whew! At the parade, Evan was a hit!  All the other little kids kept coming up to him and/or passing him and getting all excited that they saw Thomas!  I never realized the notoriety he'd have by being Thomas for halloween!  In fact, his costume was even pretty unique, as we only saw one other kid as Thomas the whole day! 

Finally wearing his Thomas costume!

My costume, on the other hand, was pretty common especially among other moms.  Haha.  And I can't say it was anything exciting, but it was easy at least.  I have a pair of fluffy cat ears that I pull out around this time of year, and when paired with a fully black outfit and some whiskers drawn on my cheeks...ta da!  Instant easy cat costume.  This year I even had a bit of black and white polka dots in my "fur" around my neck....just to stay warm...hehe.
Momma cat with her lil pumpkin and her lil tank engine!

Emma was our lil pumpkin, and she slept through the whole parade and trick or treating!  Amazing!  We brought both strollers to let Evan and John finish marching in it, in the case I had to exit the parade to feed her.  Yet, that didn't need to happen! 

Before leaving for the parade (left; awake), and after the parade which she slept through (right; asleep)

John's costume was a bit of a last minute thing, literally.  He ran to the store Saturday morning and grabbed the cowboy costume just minutes before we left to go to the parade.   We had been brainstorming ideas the night before, and a drover came up (an Aussie cowboy...think Hugh Jackman in the movie "Australia"...grrrr tiger!), but he didn't have everything he needed.  Well, the costume he bought gave him the requisite attire, however the cheap hat that came with it he of course replaced with his authentic Aussie-style leather hat.  Not bad for a truly last minute costume I would say, and he pulled it off even better than Hugh if you ask me. :)

The whole group as we "lined" up for the parade (left), and my handsome boys (right)

Handsome daddy the drover with his lil sleepy pumpkin

The parade itself was just a bunch of families in costumes walking down main street amidst all of the local high school marching bands.  I loved hearing the drum lines and bands though...took me back to high school!  After almost completing the parade route we pulled off to the side of the street and met up with some friends who had a little girl Evan's age.  I will say that the last part of the parade was getting pretty thin.  I don't think many families stuck with it the whole route, despite the parade volunteers with signs that said "please keep walking!"...haha.  

After the parade it was time for the trick or treating.  As we walked up to the first business handing out candy, Evan was on foot and he was given two pieces of candy...one for each hand.  I had his candy bag ready for him to drop them into, but he wouldn't let them go.  He threw a royal fit thinking he wasn't going to get his candy if he let it go or put it in the bag.  And so he got to eat his first pieces of Halloween candy right there on the spot.  I think they were bite-size pieces of Three Musketeers and/or Milky Way candy bars.  (For the Australians, our Milky Way bars are essentially Mars Bars, and Three Musketeers are the Australian Milky Way).  I'm glad he didn't act that way the whole time or else we would have had a very short-lived trick or treating experience.

We did the rest of the trick or treating with our friends, which was nice because they pulled Evan in their wagon along with their little girl.  Watching them both interact was adorable.  They spent a lot of the time rearranging where they had their candy stashed...from the storage place on the side of the wagon, then into a hat on her lap, to even at one point Evan hoarding it all on the seat next to him. 




 I think I have a candy-crazed kid already on my hands!  I mean he was asking for more candy on the walk back to the car (which we let him indulge in one more), and then immediately after he awoke from his nap he wanted more candy and knew exactly where I had put his candy bag on the table.  We will plan to take him trick or treating again on the actual day of Halloween around our neighborhood.   Probably just around our block only.  At least this experience gave him some practice saying trick or treating and got him used to the idea of what it's all about (say trick or treat and then get some candy...yay!).  Now we just have to get him used to the idea that he can't eat the candy right there on the spot!

No comments: