Friday, October 18, 2013

A Friday Funny: Some privacy please...

I've been wanting to post about this for nearly a month now, as it started happening just before Emma was born (which was 4 weeks ago today!!  Crazy!).  It's still going on and makes me laugh every time.  Before I go any farther, though, let me put a disclaimer on this post...for parents of young children, we deal with this as part of our normal daily routine so I suppose I may have become a little desensitized to the topic of this post...but the fact is that this is a post about my son's pooping habits.  :O

You see, Evan is at that age where he wants privacy when he poos.

Some example scenarios:

After Emma was born and John brought Evan to the hospital, there were times when they'd go walk the halls to keep Evan entertained.  At one point they went into the waiting room area designed for families to wait during labor/delivery.  Evan stood there by the computer in the waiting room and told John to go, pointing him to go elsewhere.  When John acted like he was leaving, but turned around to see what Evan was up to, Evan's face was strained and John realized it was him trying to poop.

That same weekend, when Brenda was watching Evan, they were just hanging out and Evan suddenly told her to look at her phone...she wasn't sure why, but when she looked back at him next he was grunting in a corner.  Next thing she knew it smelled kind of funny, and she knew he needed a diaper change.

Prior to these examples, I had noticed that he has a few spots around the main floor of our house that he would go to when he is going to poop...probably for the sense of privacy they offer.  His go-to places are by the front door/entry way (top choice) or along the walls of our living room (often near a corner).  And recently if he is by the front door trying to poo and you walk up to him, he'll tell you to go somewhere.  He usually tells me "Mommy, go kitchen!".  Lol.

Moreover, if you ask him if he's pooping when he does this, he'll say "no!"  Poor guy may be a little embarrassed about it I guess.

On this topic, the first Saturday we were home with Emma he was on his potty chair (to go pee, which is all he's ever done on the potty so far) and suddenly he told John to go to Emma... "Go Emma".  He didn't end up pooping in the toilet, but he was grunting and got a good toot out.  We were hoping it may have been his first #2 in the potty or that maybe that will be soon to come now.  However, I will admit that our "potty training" (I use quotes because it was never anything formal or serious yet anyway) has taken a back seat as we try to adjust to having Emma in our family.   We haven't been pushing it much at all in the last few weeks.  I did just buy him some training pants, though, so maybe we'll get back on top of that soon...but for now I think our bigger hurdle will be getting him transitioned into a big boy bed from the crib so that by the time Emma needs the crib she can have it.

Beyond that, we've recently had issues with Evan being constipated (poor guy even needed a laxative to help him one day...I'll leave out those gory details, but I think that day will be forever stained in my memory to say the least!).  However, this little guy loves prunes!  We've been buying dried prunes and he can't get enough of them!  So, with the help of his cravings for the prunes (and by avoiding giving him too much cheese, which he had previously wanted all.the.time.), we've been able to get him back to normal I think.  After all, just this morning he was at the front door doing his deed, in private, easy peasy.

1 comment:

Amy said...

haha- that's hilarious. Nora has never cared about privacy though lately she has told me "no, i want to go potty by myself!" and shuts the bathroom door.