Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The going outside ritual

I've mentioned time and time again how much Evan loves to go outside.  What I find even more amusing, though I'm also very proud of him for this, is how he's developed quite a good ritual to get ready to go outside.  It's like he's learned over time that there is a little checklist required, and now he helps tell me what's next.

1) Shoes...check.
2) Jacket (on most days still)...check.
3) Hat...check.

He has no problem getting each of those items for me, and sometimes he'll even grab mine and bring it to me (especially for my shoes, and so far he's grabbed the ones that I had been wearing that day too!).  He'll pick them up and carry them to me saying "Mommy's".   If John's going with us outside, he'll do the same for "Daddy's".

After all of the required attire, he has learned very well he needs one more thing...sunscreen!  I think he actually really likes this part!  We have a little sunscreen stick, which we rub all over his face, and then we have a tube of sunscreen lotion that we put on his arms, neck, or anywhere else that will be exposed to the sun.  He will say "sun-ski" (or something like that...meaning sunscreen), and then he'll go get the stick and lotion.  He always sits down for me to put on the face stick, and holds his head so still for me to get it everywhere.  Then he'll say "lotion", and I'll put the lotion on his arms and neck.

The funniest thing about this for me, is that he insists on this each and every time we go outside.  So, for example, if we've just gone outside and within a few minutes he needs a diaper change or it starts to rain, we'll have to come inside for a bit before going back out.  When we're getting ready to go right back out, he'll go through the same ritual, especially wanting more sunscreen!

While I think this is great that he is really good about getting his sunscreen on before going outside, I have to admit John and I have started to fake putting it on him sometimes if we had seriously just put it on him 15 or so minutes prior.

The final item on his checklist, for if we're going outside in the backyard, is that he really likes to make sure he has his "shovel", which we pretty much just keep outside now since he's started digging in the dirt with it and it's gotten a bit muddy.  After all of that, he's definitely ready to get outside and play, go for a walk or stroller ride, etc.  Now that it's starting to warm up a bit more, I'm thinking it'll soon be time to get his water table and toys out too.  Oh, I'm so looking forward to the summer outdoors with my boy! :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm impressed he likes getting his sunscreen on! I think Nora likes the "idea" of sunscreen because she asks for it, but when we actually put it on her she still fusses about it (particularly her face. Maybe I need to try a sunscreen stick though- we've been using lotion).