Playing outside yesterday, on the beautiful spring day!
Then today I awoke to a cute musical greeting card from Evan for Mother's Day. Complete with an envelope in which Evan had penned "MOM", albeit with a little help from John. He then decorated it nicely for me too.
I was so happy to be able to spend the whole day with my family (given John had just gotten his day at work cleared so he could be home all day too!). It began with John making us a big breakfast, and then we all got ready to do some shopping. In checking the forecast, I noticed that today was the first day this spring (as far as I can remember) with a high temperature due to be over 80F (26 C), thus I pulled out my maternity crop pants for the first time since I was pregnant with Evan! The weather didn't disappoint either...the day had sunny skies, with just a few clouds here and there for variety, and very little wind. Absolutely great for being outside!
Our shopping trip was to the Home Depot for flowers for my hanging basket (what I wanted for my Mother's Day) as well as for plants for our garden and other home improvement things. While Evan got tired of that long outing before we got everything we needed, John was able to get back out in the afternoon to pick up the rest of the plants.
This evening John grilled a beautifully delicious dinner of grilled chicken and corn on the cob. We also had a couple salads (pasta salad and a mixed green salad) and completed the meal with a pitcher of lemonade. It was a very colorful plate, and Evan ate most all of it too! Thus, he earned a dessert for eating dinner so well! I cannot reiterate enough how perfect the weather was for all of this. It was the perfect temperature, there was no wind to blow things around or rain to steer us indoors, and there weren't really any bugs out either! Trifecta!
Evan especially liked the corn on the cob! He ate about half of the corn off it himself!
For dessert we gave Evan a whole Oreo cookie, which he pulled apart and licked out the middle first. It was the first time I'd given him a cookie like that whole (though I guess John had before, which is how John predicted how Evan would eat it!). I got a kick out of watching him bite into it, then pull it apart, then lick the filling (getting his fingers and face pretty messy in the process!) and then he finished by eating that half of the cookie that didn't have any filling on it.
After dinner, John finished planting the garden plants we had gotten today and Evan was pretty intrigued by what Daddy was doing. When we asked him, he did try to help (i.e. "Can you give Daddy the little shovel?" and he would). Though he also kept wanting to either climb into the raised bed or grab the not-so-child-friendly gardening tools (i.e. the scissors or hand rake), so after awhile I had to take him inside. While we waited for Daddy to finish, we took a few Mother-Son self-portraits to commemorate the day.
As we got Evan ready for bed, we realized we had run out of milk and our dairy delivery wasn't going to come until the morning. We he hoped maybe Evan wouldn't ask for milk before bed, but since it's become quite the tradition, he most certainly did. Thus, I made a really quick run to the nearby grocery store for milk. As I drove there and back, I had the windows rolled all the way down, with my hand out the window feeling that perfect-temperature air. On the way back I realized how having the windows down on a spring/summery night made me feel like having some music on to make the mood even better, so I had the music blasting. It made me feel like I was in my teens or twenties again...and it made me feel so good to be alive!
As I laid down with Evan to give him his bedtime milk, I was really on a high. From such a beautiful day with my family, and from the fact that I am a mother. This day was now a special day for me, not just for other mothers out there. Me...I am Evan's mum-mum and soon will be a mother of two. I snuggled my son, kissed his forehead, and thanked every power that be for blessing me with such an adorable angel and for such a perfect day. This one will be residing in my memory bank for quite awhile!







2 comments:
Those are great pictures of the two of you!
Thanks Amy! I can't say I love me in them, but Evan sure makes the photos cute! :P
Post a Comment