Friday, July 20, 2012

Fighting it, tooth and nail

I could really use some insights from other moms out there, because I'm getting nothing but a fight from Evan when I try to do two important grooming chores with him.

1) Teeth

While Evan only has a few (5 with number 6 coming in now) teeth, the dentist suggested we start using a toothbrush with him to clean them (sans toothpaste at this stage).  I've got a baby finger brush and a regular baby toothbrush, and while Evan sometimes lets me put either of them in his mouth, the moment I start to brush, he laughs and then pulls away.  Then he typically doesn't let me put it back in.  Is it tickling him?   Or what is the deal?  I often get better luck with the finger brush, because he likes to try to bite it (and ouch it can hurt if he gets a good bite on it, as that is my finger inside the rubber!).  However, I'd like to know if what I am managing to do is doing any good for his teeth, or if there are any other tricks I need to try to get him used to having his teeth brushed?  I want to make sure his tooth health starts off on the right foot, but a squirmy kid that refuses the brush in his mouth doesn't make it easy!

2) Nails

While he may put up a little fight over getting his teeth brushed, he really fights me when it comes to getting his fingernails or toenails filed!  After the accidental skin-nipping that happened when Evan was a little baby we've pretty much exclusively filed his nails to keep them short, as opposed to using nail clippers or scissors.  His nails grow so fast though, and it takes me awhile to file them, that sometimes I think snipping them would be quicker, but as much as he fights it and squirms I think there would be many more skin-nipping incidents.  Nonetheless, his poor toenails have gotten so long at times that I worry they'll start to hurt him, and his big toe toenails often have broken backward (from getting long and then him stubbing or bending it weird when he crawls/stands up).  I feel terrible when that happens, but as it is I really have to hold onto his foot tight to make any progress on them, and he screams bloody murder while I do.  It pains me so much to hear him cry like that, and I wonder if I am hurting him or if it's just his reluctance to sit still that's bringing on the tantrum?

Since his fingernails scratch his face so often (and now other people too, like me!), I really try to keep them short, but again, they grow so fast and he fights me when I try to work on them.  If I can distract him with something nearby that he wants to reach for (with the hand I'm not working on mind you), then I can usually make some good progress on most of the unused hand's fingernails.  However, I rarely get enough time on each finger to get the nail down as much as I'd like.

How do other parents handle these chores?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sarah- Well, we use one of those toddler toothbrushes with some of the fluoride-free toothpaste (fruit flavored)- I think that helps because then she'll try to suck on the brush. But we also sing a "toothbrush" song every time, and we've also tried brushing our teeth at the same time and acting like it's really fun (haha). Anyway, she doesn't fuss too much so it seems to work.

As far as the fingernails- usually the only way it works for us is for one of us to hold her in our laps and the other person to clip her nails and toenails (I usually make Kevin clip them because I'm scared- I also clipped her once and it freaked me out!). The other person can distract her a little bit with a book or a song.

Julie Wiens said...

I'm way behind here, but I've read that sucking on a wet cloth can also help remove the plaque. Perhaps something to try on days where he refuses the brush. I'm using both cloth and finger brush at the moment.