Tuesday, July 10, 2012

11-month update

Firsts: 
  • Fever and antibiotics-- A few days ago I noticed he had a rash all over his trunk, and so I called our doctor to make sure it wasn't an allergic reaction.  Turns out he must have an amoxycillin rash, which is a common side effect of amoxycillin in babies (previously thought to be an allergic reaction, but they said they don't treat it that way anymore, as many babies who get tested for allergies later in life don't show it then, so either they outgrow it or it wasn't a true allergic reaction to begin with--which is ironic because that's what happened to John as a baby!).
  • Walking on his own with the push walker toy
  • Activity pool play date
  • Baby Einstein video (about Galileo and the sky)--though he didn't really pay much attention to it.  Maybe because it wasn't very engaging or because we've done a good job of limiting his TV exposure so he didn't realize it was something for him to watch!
  • Bath in the grown-up bathtub (no baby tub at all!)


Growth and development:

Evan is very mobile!  Whether it's crawling on all fours, cruising, or walking with assistance (us or the walker toy), he finds a way to get from one place to another very quickly!

Evan now repeats words we say (sometimes) and is starting to repeat more of our actions too (such as making his hands flipped up when you say "where'd it go? i don't know" and he is now (sometimes) waving back at us too.  Some things he's repeated are "tee" (tree), "dah dee" (daddy), "bah bah" (bye bye), and even he did a "na na" after I said night night once.  He also "talks" in much more complex sounds and longer "sentences" now too.  I wish I could only understand what he was saying then.  Sometimes he does it while he's playing on his own, like he has an imaginary friend he's talking too.  Either way, his baby voice is way too cute!

Evan is now pointing at things, not really with his pointer finger, but rather with all fingers out.  I didn't realize he was probably pointing that way because I expected to see his pointing finger, but he does it a lot as if he's reaching for the item in the distance (and maybe in his mind he thinks he's touching it too because from his visual perspective his outstretched hand is "touching" it).  Common things for him to "point" at are the cat, banners hanging down at stores, trees, and balloons.

He wears size 12 month clothes mostly, though some 12-18 month items are in his current wardrobe too (especially for when he's wearing his cloth diapers).  However, if he is wearing a disposable diaper, he still fits into some of his 9 month shorts/bottoms!  He is in size 3 disposable diapers still.

Since we went to the doctor this month for the fever (which actually was on his 11-month birthday), we got a recent weight on him: 19 lbs 10 oz.  This is about a pound more than at his 9-month check up so he's gaining steadily, but yet I really thought he may be 20 pounds by now given how tired my arm gets when I hold him for too long!

He's got 5 teeth now (two just recently came in), and maybe a 6th (the 4th on the top) is popping through.  He has, however, also starting biting.  Often he'll bite my shoulder when I'm carrying him, or my leg when he's standing and holding onto my lap.  He even has tried to bite my ankle and foot when he crawls over to me while I'm standing.  Guess that's where the term "ankle-biter" came from!

Common goofy smile we see these days...he scrunches his nose and shows off his scattered teeth. :)

Meal time:

Evan still just drinks 3 oz bottles of breast milk about 3 times per day, plus has 3 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) of solid foods.  He has had phases of not wanting much solid food on a spoon (purees in particular), but then goes back to wanting them.  I've been trying to come up with more finger foods he can eat, but he seems to easily choke or spit out pieces he can't easily mash, so I really have to find things that are super soft.  New foods he had this past month: diced fresh peaches or nectarines (loves them!), scrambled egg yolks (not sure he really liked them that much...need to try a few more times), bits of graham crackers (thanks to my sister), mac and cheese, spinach raviolis, bits of bread, arrowroot cookies, yogurt melts.  He choked pretty bad on the arrowroot cookie earlier this month which scared me and John pretty good.  I had been giving him the whole thing to work on learning to take bites, and he had done it fine the first few times.  Then one night he decided to shove the whole last half in at once...and must have swallowed too much of it at once too.  He ended up puking it up essentially, but now I have to break up the cookie to give it to him in bits.

Evan doesn't drink much other than breast milk still, but he does drink water out of a cup occasionally (with us holding it)...yet he still doesn't care for sippy cups.  He just likes to drink the grown-up way, which can get everything wet too easy and requires us to help.  At least he's drinking it more now than just letting it run down his face or blowing bubbles in it (but he still does those things too).

Sleep time:

Evan sleeps through the night fairly well, but his most common routine involves crying out (and even standing up in his crib) around 4-5am, in which John goes and lays him back down and gives him his pacifier, bunny bear, and a blankie so he'll go back to sleep.  Then he may go back to sleep (or maybe he doesn't, but he's quiet so we go back to sleep at least!) for another 30-60 minutes, and then wakes us up again around 5:30-6am.  That's when I'll bring him into our bed to nurse him for the mornings.  A few mornings this past month he fell back to sleep in our bed after that, but most often he's up crawling all over our bed wanting to start his day.

He still is taking 2 naps per day, in his crib, and they last about 1-2 hours each.

Play time:

Favorite books:  All ones reported before in previous monthly updates, but now also Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? (he loves the sheep and the teacher pages!) and a little farm animals pop up book I got recently at a garage sale.

Toys: LeapFrog activity table, walks on his own with his Vtech push walker, likes his stacking cups and toys that make noise (xylophone piano).  He also loves the tv remote control, which he likes to push it around the floor.  He also will push some books or other "slippery" (plastic smooth sided) toys around the floor.  He occasionally plays more on his own again...with his activity table, books, the remote, or the walker.





Evan still likes to pull books off the shelf, but more than anything he just likes to explore around the house, spending more time getting into the kitchen and dining room.  He likes to go to the glass of the back sliding door and bang on it and look outside.  John also will take Evan into the shower with him, and Evan also loves to bang on the glass shower door at me, while I wait with a warm towel to dry him off.  He loves to chase the cat around also, and I'm glad she's been pretty tolerant of him chasing her down so far (well, Roxie is, Jasper is no where to be seen most of the time still).


One of Evan's newest tricks, which is not very fun for us, is that he undoes the velcro on his diaper after we put it on (usually just one side, but recently he got both off before we had gotten his pants on). Needless to say, between this and his squirminess, diaper changes can be a challenge sometimes!

One last thing I want to mention is that Evan has been getting so much more cuddly with me lately. I absolutely love it when I pick him up and he puts his head down on my shoulder.  I could hold him like that forever!  He often does it when I take him out of the shower too, which gets me all wet.  I grab him from John, while wrapping him in a towel, and hold onto him as I carry him somewhere to dry him off and dress him.  Nothing like a sopping wet head on my shoulder! (haha)  Yet, I could care less, because I just love my little cuddly boy so much!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a cutie. I love that octopus outfit!