Friday, July 27, 2012

Cute sounds

Evan's really working on his vocabulary these days.  Sadly, I think most of it is in another language, but there are times that I can make out his attempts at English.  One new phrase he's repeating after us is "thank you", which in his world comes out to sound more like "tat chew".  He repeats that exact sound after we say thank you, though, so I know it must be his attempt at saying it too.

A few other new things he's repeated after us that I think sound kind of like what we said are "bunny bear" ("buh bah"), kitty cat ("keh cah"), and "boop" ("bup" or even "boop" sometimes,  and sometimes he even has the same intonation as us and it sounds spot on).  This latter word is really just a sound that John started making during Evan's meal times and Evan started repeating it back (as well as thought it was pretty funny).

One of my favorite sounds that Evan started doing (at least a few weeks ago actually), is a growl.  In his "If you're happy and you know it, Aussie Edition" book, there is a page that says "If you're a tassie devil and you know it, let out a growl".  When I read that page to him I always said growl with a bit of a growl in my voice.  Soon, I noticed he'd start making a sound like he was clearing his throat when we got to that page (sometimes even before I read the words).  Now, we've come to realize that's his version of a growl.  Pretty cute I think!

And then I think one of the cutest sounds he started making this past week is what I call his baby yodel.  He does it in his higher pitched tone of voice (already my favorite of his tones), and it sounds like "lahdel lahdel lahdel lahdel".  I'm trying to capture all of his cute sounds on video, but of course by the time I get the camera out he's stopped doing it.  And then when I have the video rolling I'll make the sound to try to encourage him to repeat it, and when he doesn't repeat it then the videos turn out to be footage of Evan playing with me making silly sounds in the background.  Pretty embarrassing!


1 comment:

Amy said...

Nora just started growling last week. I call her my baby dinosaur. I love new sounds!