Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Emma's first birthday party: Part II

So I noticed quite a few things that were different about having the first birthday party for my second child than what it was like for my firstborn.  First of all, there were a lot more kids in attendance at this party.  Secondly, Evan demanded as much, actually much more, attention than Emma even though it was her special day.  This continued into the time for cake and presents, as I'll explain below.  Lastly, though, was that I think I planned out Evan's party a lot more carefully than I did Emma's.  In fact, I didn't really make much of a plan on how things would go and just winged it.  While it all worked out just fine, there are some things I realized after the fact that I wished I had remembered!


As the party was starting, I had to quickly get a few photos of us together.  

When all the guests arrived, I was just finishing setting out the food.  That and Emma had just woken up from her morning nap, so I had to get her changed and ready to join her party.  Everyone got some food and we all ate lunch.  I fed Emma some lunch too at her high chair.  It was a beautiful day so many of the guests ate outside.  The kids attending the party had some food too, but most of them focused on playing either in our living room with all the toys we have there, or outside.  Eventually they all made their way to the play room in the basement too.  Since it was just a first birthday party, I didn't plan any set activities, so it's good that the kids were able to just entertain themselves for the most part.


After everyone had lunch, I figured why not have cake now?  After all, we'd just eaten a light lunch, the kids had been asking for cake since the party started, and Emma was already in her high chair from having lunch too.  So, that's what we did.  We sang happy birthday to her as I lit the sole candle on her cake, and then Evan and I helped her blow out the candle.  It was all a blur to me.  Before I knew it, she was already starting to explore the frosting on her cake.  At least we managed to get some family photos with her and her cake before it (er, she) got too messy.  Notice, however, that Evan was already trying out her cake frosting for her…





Granted, she didn't really smash the cake, much like Evan.  She tested the frosting a bit, and eventually wiped her sticky hands covered in frosting on her face and in her hair.  But she never really went face first into it nor did she destroy it (which I liked because I got to enjoy the cake as dessert for several days afterward!).





Now here's where I wish I had better planned out the party agenda:  at Evan's party we did cake last.  Why?  Because I anticipated him being a mess and needing a bath!  For Emma, I didn't think that part through, and so I had to give her a quick bath in the middle of her party while all the guests were still there!  (Not my ideal plan!)  Either way, after she got cleaned up and in fresh clothes she opened presents.  Well, Evan opened them more like it!  He was more excited about it than she was (at first at least) and even gasped and got all giddy for what some of the presents were, as if they were for him!  So having a 1-year-old open presents when there are lots of other kids around that aren't old enough yet to realize the presents are not for them was just one more difference between then and now.

Regardless, Emma did have fun opening her presents, especially tearing the paper and finding new things inside! She got new books, toys, and some cute clothes.  It was a great time all around, and I think my highlight was when she started hugging her new giraffe just out of the blue.  It was the most adorable thing, which also turned out to be an age appropriate milestone (as I found out on her 12-month questionnaire at her doctor check up), and the best part is that she still does it whenever she finds him. She is sure a lil hugger! :)







1 comment:

Amy said...

Aw, she is so cute with her giraffe.