We started the day by decorating our pumpkins. We didn't feel like going to the mess of carving them yet, and I figure we can actually use the pumpkins to bake some goodies if we don't carve them open either, so we decided to just draw faces on them. When I asked Evan if he wanted to draw faces on his pumpkin he immediately wanted to get his colors (crayons). So I let him have his fun trying to decorate the pumpkin with his crayons even though of course they didn't really leave any marks on the pumpkins. He helped me dry off the pumpkins and tried to draw on them with his crayons while I used a permanent marker to draw the faces on them.
Drying them off and choosing his colors
Helping color them and the finished products
Halloween attire for the kiddos (yes, Evan was walking around in daddy's shoes)
Later on in the day, when John and I were getting our bags of candy into the bowl to prepare for the trick-or-treaters later in the evening, Evan saw us playing with the candy and started yelling "I want candy! I want candy!" This kid definitely has a sugar tooth and knows what's what. Then we got Evan in his Thomas costume and Emma in her pumpkin outfit, and I even put on my cat ears again (Evan also told me I needed the whiskers as well so I had to break down and draw them on my face too), and were ready to head out to drive by a few friends homes as our first bout of trick-or-treating. But low and behold one of those friends decided to stop by our house first! The cutest little sock monkey arrived at our door and so we had to snap a picture of her with Evan's sock monkey too. Evan was so sweet because he gave her some candy, which she happily held out for us to see (not sure if she was proud of it or wanted to share it, but it was adorable!).
After they left we loaded into the car and headed over to their house. It was Evan's first stop on his first trick-or-treating adventure. He walked up to the door, rang the doorbell (with a little bit of help from John lifting him up), and then said trick or treat! We went inside to hang out for a little bit, but he wasn't really in the mood for a photo.
After there we went to Evan's daycare house and Evan got some candy there (plus an orange too!), as well as we took some candy to her kids. And then when we got back to our house we decided it was time to walk around our neighborhood, however it was awfully cold and quite windy so we didn't want to take Emma out for too long. We first went to our next door neighbor's house to show off Emma and Evan. They loved seeing "Thomas" and told us that they had lots of old Thomas trains and toys from when their boys loved Thomas, but their boys were outgrowing it now.
Then John took Emma home while I took Evan around the neighborhood. There weren't very many houses with their lights on yet so we were on a search to look for homes with their porch lights on. Evan quickly started to learn this game because after we would leave one home if he saw another house with the light on he would tell me "there's another one mommy"! He also was acting really cute when I was explaining to him that we need to look for houses with lights on and hurry up because it was cold, because he kept saying to me "ok mommy, ok". He was totally adorable! At the second house that we trick or treated at he actually even started to say thank you and he sounded out the phrase "happy Halloween" as we were leaving! The people at that house thought he was just the cutest little thing ever and I couldn't have agreed more!
After that house, he got the routine down. I'd lift him up to ring the doorbell, he'd open his bag waiting for candy, then say trick or treat when they opened the door (with some prompting for me), and then he'd say thank you and happy Halloween before we left (again with some prompting for me). Nonetheless he did it every time and he did a great job! If only it weren't so cold we would have certainly got to stop at more homes. But we still had to get home and have dinner, as well as we needed to hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters that came to our house too. Before we ended our trick-or-treating adventure we made sure to go trick-or-treat at our own house! Evan ran up to our front door, rang our doorbell (which he loves to do anyway), and then as soon as John opened the door he just walked right inside instead of waiting for his candy. I guess he knew we were home. :)
Back at home with my (fussy) lil pumpkin
Once we got inside, John immediately wanted to scope out Evan's goodies. So we put them all on the floor and kind of sorted of them out for things that Evan could eat and could not eat yet. And of course Evan had to have a piece right away. I will mention, though, that after the candy he wanted his orange next! (Yay! He wants some of the healthy treats too!) Nonetheless, this was just the beginning of his sugar rush that he had the rest of the evening. We only let him have about one or two pieces of candy, but he was amped up. I thought for sure he'd be really tired with all the walking and running around the block we did that night trick-or-treating, but I think the sugar offset it all! Either that or his excitement over the whole ordeal (including the people that kept coming to our door throughout the rest of the night) just made him be super super hyper and crazy.
When the trick-or-treaters would come to our house, Evan loved to "help". Every time the doorbell rang he would go over to the door and grab a piece of candy out of the bowl for them, however he didn't always give the candy to the trick-or-treaters. He often just stood there in awe, looking at the different monsters, super heroes, fairies, and more that were coming to our doorstep. And what's more, Evan was even given a treat from one of our trick-or-treaters! It was from our neighbors, and they brought him a little goodie bag with three engines from Thomas! What a special evening it was!
Around Evan's bedtime we turned off all our lights, put up a sign that said we were out of candy and not to knock (we've had knocks even after turning out the lights in past years but this year the sign must have helped!), and called it a day. And now that it's over, Evan gets one piece of candy per day and he's sure to remind us that he wants his candy! I'm pretty certain that Evan can't wait for Halloween to come again next year.













No comments:
Post a Comment