Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Shaking up sleep time

Last night was a big night in our house for both of our kids!

For Emma, it was the first night that I've only had to wake up once to feed her!  She slept from 8pm until 3:30am!  And then after just nursing on one side she didn't go back to sleep right away, so I fed her on the other side at 4am and then she slept until 9am!  She had also needed to be nursed on both sides before bed too (and then again this morning she nursed both sides at 9am and noon), so I think we've turned a page on her nursing pattern already!  Either that, or she's going through a growth spurt and needs to nurse more in a feeding?  However, given the longer spacing between feedings I think it's just that she's got a bigger tummy capacity now!  And if that is in any way helping contribute to her longer sleeps at night...hip hip hooray!  This could just be a one time fluke, but for now it made for a great night for her and us!

For Evan, it was the first night he slept in his crib after we converted it to a toddler bed!  And he went down and slept all night just fine that way!  What made this moment even more special was how he "helped" John disassemble the crib, and then how excited he got once he figured out he could climb into his bed on his own.

Evan loves to "work" with his tools, so this project was very exciting for him.  He took it very seriously and kept changing out which tool he used on his side of the crib he was working on...from the screwdriver to the hammer to the cordless electric drill/screwdriver.  He was having a ball and kept telling me "mommy we work tools".

First the screwdriver, then the hammer, then the drill, and so on...

A video captured all of this much better than these still images.  Check out "Evan the handyman".  In the video, I love how he replies to my question by saying "I'm working here, Mommy."  Adorable!

After the front of the crib came off, he hopped up into the bed and was just so giddy with excitement.  Sure, he had a few bounces (naughty naughty), but he also sat and/or laid down and cuddled with his stuffed animals and blankets too.  And at bedtime he went into his bed easy as pie.  In fact, he wanted to sit in his bed for story time (normally we sit in a rocking chair or bean bag with him on my lap for this and then we put him in his crib afterward), so I sat next to him and read his story that way.  I am not sure if I should be sitting in the crib next to him though, as I don't know how much weight it's supposed to take (I'll have to look that up before doing it again)!   As I read his story, I could see he felt pretty happy about his new bed arrangement.  The funny thing is that I don't think he realizes this means he can get out of the bed anytime he wants...but that's okay with me for now!  I'd rather have him happy being in it than excited to get out of it and not sleep!  We'll see how long this lasts and then we'll see how long it takes for him to be ready to sleep in his twin-sized "big boy" bed (which can be seen in the photos above with the sports ball sheet on it, since we had it in his room to get him used to it, but have now moved it back out so he doesn't bounce on it at night now that he can get out of bed).  Hopefully that will happen before our trip to Australia, in which we will have one crib (for Emma) and he'll have a twin bed to use.


So excited to be able to climb into his own bed by himself!

No comments: