Thursday, August 29, 2013

The cutest things

Having a two-year-old can be trying, but there are so many things that he does that redeem the moments of tantrums and testiness.  Here is a list of some of the latest things he's been doing that I find adorably cute!

1) He wants hugs!  At seemingly random times he'll say he wants a hug.  And he'll come get/give a great hug.  The other morning I got him to daycare a bit later than normal because he wanted a hug and so I sat on the couch with him draped over me, his head nuzzled on my shoulder.  And there we sat, for who knows how many minutes, but I wasn't about to cut that moment short.  And he's great about giving kisses now too.  He even makes the cute puckered lips sound when he gives something a kiss.  So sweet!

2) He does what every kid I know has done when they are raised with a vegetable garden at their home: he picked a piece of fresh produce and ate it right there on the spot!   In his case, he had just helped John pick ripe tomatoes, and as I took the bowl inside to wash them, he went back to the garden and picked a roma tomato (luckily it was a fairly ripe one) and bit into it like an apple.  He ate the whole thing too.  Mmmm...nothing like sneaking some fresh produce straight from the garden!

3) He loves Starbucks!  Thanks to John taking him there on most of his Tuesdays or Thursdays (they go for long walks and end up there to cool down and have a treat), Evan now really wants it all the time.  He went there this morning and they called me on the phone.  I heard Evan say "Hi Mommy.  I'm in Starbucks!!".  Apparently he was exclaiming that to other patrons that passed their table too.  He was just so excited about it, and devoured his walnut bread and decaf caramel frappuccino, which he was supposed to have shared with John.  While he may have given John a few sips, he claimed (and drank) most of it!


4) He gets so excited to see Daddy come home!  When John calls to say he's on his way home, there have been several days lately where Evan will want to watch at the front door for him.  One day in particular, he pulled up his own chair to sit and watch.  And when he saw John pulling in he waved so hard at him and said so excitedly "Daddy's home!  I see Daddy!" over and over.

Waiting in his chair at the door.

5) He loves cake!  Or any other kind of baked treat (such as the sweet breads at Starbucks...see #3).  In fact, I just made a zucchini bread the other day and he called it zucchini cake and loved it so much.  He woke up from a nap one day and right away started asking for "zucchini cake".  He said the word zucchini pretty well too!  I think he may have gotten the wrong idea about having "cake" for breakfast though, as I did give him some of my slice with breakfast one day.  Although, he's got a good point; it is more like cake than bread anyway, so we were essentially having cake for breakfast that day!

6) He is so concerned and caring about others.  Examples include his concern for others when they are crying.  He always wants to help and give them a hug.  Another example was when he was at the park with John the other day.  He was swinging (in the baby-style swings that allow us to push him higher than we would otherwise), and a mom and baby came up and started to swing the baby in the swing next to him.  Apparently, the moment the mother placed her bub in the swing she immediately gave her a big push launching her way up high, higher than John felt comfortable swinging Evan (who was clearly older than this child).  The little girl flew forward in the swing, so she was being braced on the front of the swing along her chest rather than sitting back in it, while the mother continued to launch her way up high.  The girl seemed to love it, but John and Evan were both terrified.  In fact, Evan started saying quite worriedly, "he's gonna fall!  he's gonna fall!" (even though it was a girl he must have not noticed that part).  The mother told John how her husband is an engineer and told her there is no way for a baby to fall out of these swings, so they don't hold back.  But after seeing how much this panicked Evan she eventually toned it down, telling John that she didn't want to frighten Evan since he clearly was pretty worried about this little girl!  I'd be very curious what kind of study this engineer did on these swings to guarantee you can put a very young child in one and push the dickens out of it and know for sure they won't fall out.  John and I both agreed that engineers design a lot of things that still fail from time to time.  To each their own...

7) He is now using his cheesy grin to get points I think.  Sometimes he'll flash us the cutest, cheesiest grin just nearly out of the blue.  It includes his eyes partially squinted, his nose a little scrunched up, and it shows off his teeth and dimples.  If he wanted to win us over (as if we weren't already head over heels with him), he's certainly learning some tricks on how to do it!

8) He is just too darn cute sometimes.  The other night before bed he wanted to get in the rocking chair and read a story book.  Normally I sit in the chair and read him a book, while he sits on my lap (which is disappearing more and more each day!).  Since I wasn't in his room yet, he climbed into the rocking chair and asked John for his blanket and Scout.  By the time I arrived, he was snuggled up under his blanket, cuddling Scout in the chair waiting for me.  I wish I could have gotten a picture, because it was just too darn cute.  And then as we read "My New Baby" (a book I got to help warm him up to things that will happen when Baby Sister arrives), he always gives hugs and kisses to the baby on the page where it's crying.  So following from #6, he's so sweet and concerned about others.  However, he used to be really sweet and whisper "shhh baby sleeping" on the pages where baby is sleeping.  Now, he growls and roars to scare it/wake it up.  He's been doing this with us (as well as other relatives over Skype) for awhile now where we pretend to sleep and he then scares us/wakes us up with his growl, but for animals or things sleeping in his books he used to let them rest peacefully with a "shhhh ___ is sleeping".  Not sure what changed, but I sure hope he doesn't try doing this in reality with his sleeping baby sister! :O

9) When I say something is adorable, he gets excited and says "door bell!"  Lol...it sounds similar I guess.  (And yes, he loves to ring door bells!)

10 ) He says the darnedest things!  Examples:
-"Mommy, I'm working with tools!" (while playing with his tool bench set)
-"I sitting in huge chair" (when sitting in our counter height chairs...he also likes to refer to the exercise ball as a huge ball)
-"Oh my gosh" (randomly)
-"Daddy, I'm done.  Daddy, I'm finished." (when he wakes up from his nap)
-"I did it!" (when random things happen that he instigates, such as when he squeezed bubbles out of one of his squirty bath toys)
-"Naughty boy" (tonight at the dinner table after he'd thrown things off his tray table)
-Anytime he uses "yah" (almost sounds a little like a surfer dude's "yaw") excitedly about things he wants and thinks he's getting.  (i.e. "Outside, yah", "Music, yah", "Cake, yah").  Sometimes he throws in an "ok" in between ("Park, ok, yah!")  I said thinks he's getting, because sometimes he tells us he wants something (i.e. Barney) and then when we just reply by repeating what he said to acknowledge we heard him (but not saying he'll get it) he'll respond this way (i.e. "Barney, ok, yah!").  [And yes, he's really into Barney now...sigh]
-And so far John's accent has won out on how Evan pronounces "tomato", but mine has shaped how he pronounces "Aunty" and the letter "H". :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love how he pulled the chair up to wait.. that is too cute!