Monday, December 24, 2012

The night before Christmas

Here we are, on Christmas Eve 2012, and I think we are now ready for the big day tomorrow.  The gifts are all wrapped, holidays cards have (finally) all been mailed, and we have ventured back to where I call home to spend this week with my family.  It's cold, and even snowy, outside, so it's definitely a more familiar Christmas environment for me.

While it is cold and frosty outside for us this year, we do have a little taste of Aussie Christmas in here.  As I am writing this, "Santa Koala" is playing on the stereo and John's reading the accompanying book with Evan.  (And as catchy as the song is, I'll probably be singing it in my head later this evening!)

Evan is now old enough to enjoy some aspects of this holiday this year.  While he didn't really care about meeting Santa, and he probably doesn't know that he'll be getting loads of gifts to open tomorrow, he does enjoy seeing all of the Christmas trees and houses adorned with twinkling lights.  In fact, holiday-lit houses make driving in the car after dark with him much more enjoyable!  Last week, we even took him out for a drive specifically to see some houses that are decorated over-the-top, and he had a blast.  I'm not sure if it was the reflection of the holiday lights or his genuine excitement to see the lights that lit the sparkle in his eye during that outing.  As far as gifts go, he has already enjoyed playing with some of his larger gifts (that we didn't have room to bring on the road trip), so whether he understands the idea of gifts, he's sure enjoying the spoils of it.

The only snag we've hit so far is that Evan came down with a bit of a cold yesterday.  We have to be ready and on guard with the tissues, as his sneezes have been very productive (I'll leave it at that).  Yet, he's taking good naps and acting pretty good otherwise, so I hope that it's not making him feel too crummy.

So as I sign off on this chilly Christmas Eve, we are about to bake and decorate cookies for Santa with my niece and nephews, drink some hot cocoa, and then watch Christmas Vacation (seriously the best and funniest Christmas movie ever).  It's definitely feeling a lot like Christmas, and I can't wait to see what kind of sparkle Evan's eyes have in the morning when he's showered with presents.

Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

1 comment: