I have finally had my first parent-of-a-toddler-with-no-filter moment. But before I reveal the moment, I must build the story more.
Evan recently started saying a new word, that to us sounded like "mess", however we weren't sure where he learned it or if that was really what he was saying. He often said it to us when he saw some of his snacks on the floor; cheerios or puffs that had fallen out of his snack catcher bowl (thus, it's not always so great at the catching part) as he took a handful of snacks. He'd pick up the snack and bring it to us and say "mess". I was trying to figure out if he was trying to say the name of the snack, but over time I realized he can clearly say "puff", "bunny" (for Annie's cheddar bunnies), and he's also starting to say cheerios (sounds maybe more like "chee-ohs"). Plus, the more it happened, I started to realize I've probably told him that he made a mess with his snacks on a few occasions, so maybe the word was probably coming from us after all.
Anyway, Evan and I were shopping today and as I pushed him in the cart down an aisle, there was a man unpacking merchandise boxes on a pallet. Below him, scattered about the floor, were a lot of little white styrofoam pieces. As we passed him, Evan very clearly pointed and said "mess". Out loud I told him, "Yes, that's a little bit of a mess." In my head I was thinking, "Thank you, Evan, for noticing the mess and letting this man know you thought he wasn't doing such a good job of keeping his work area (which happened to be the store aisle) clean." I also had a little giggle about it. It could have been worse, of course, but it was just a little reminder that my toddler-without-a-filter will get me into more of these potentially embarrassing situations in the years to come so I just better start to view them with a sense of humor and have a laugh.
1 comment:
That's too cute. :) Sounds like he's talking up a storm!
Post a Comment