Evan really does understand a lot now. My heart about melted with pride as he responded to my question by doing what I asked him to do. While he is just starting to communicate with us using sign language and his best attempts at English words, he really has gotten a good understanding of what we are saying. The story, which took place this past Monday, goes like this:
Evan had found his diaper bag and rifled through it, and then carried some things around the house. His container of Puffs snacks was one of those items that ended up in the middle of the dining room floor. I asked him where he got it? Of course he didn't answer, but I guessed he must have found it in his diaper bag. So I asked him if he could put it back where he found it so it didn't leave a mess on the floor. (He's been a little obsessed with the word "mess" lately). Then I asked him please, using sign language and my voice. In my amazement he came over and picked up the canister, and then carried it back to where his diaper bag was. However, he got a little distracted along the way, so I did have to remind him what he was doing, and then he continued on his way. He put it down next to his bag, so then I asked him if he could put it back inside the bag. Again, he amazed me by doing just what I asked.
There have been a lot of moments in my experience so far as a mother that have taken my breath away. This is definitely one of them. It's so hard to comprehend how much he can understand at such an early age, but this incident helped both John and I get a better understanding of just how much he is already understanding from us!
No comments:
Post a Comment