Sunday, November 20, 2011

The first time I saw it happen...

Yesterday we took Evan to JC Penney's portrait studio for some actual portraits.  At three and a half months old, I figured it was about time we finally got some before he got any bigger.  I had wanted some of him as a wee little newborn infant, but I wasn't organized enough to get out of the house for an appointment in those early weeks.  Not to mention, I was worried he would just cry the whole time.  I mean really, how was I supposed to schedule a photo shoot time in advance of actually knowing when he'd be eating or napping on a given day!?  Then with his blocked tear ducts causing gunky on his eyes, I just kept putting it off.

Well, yesterday I finally picked up the phone and called for an appointment, and to my surprise was able to book in for later in the afternoon.  Now, all of my worries about taking him to get pictures when he was just a few weeks old were still in my mind.  What if he needed to nap at the time of the pictures?  What if he was hungry at that time?  It was so hard to know how his daily schedule would unfold and if it would work with the timing of the appointment.  And unfortunately, his schedule did not initially cooperate.  He did not get a good nap in all day!  So by the time we were on our way to the store, he was not in a good mood.  Luckily they were running behind so I had a few minutes to nurse him, which calmed him down and seemed to hold him over for most of the shoot.

Now the other thing that I had been worried about with infant photo shoots...what if he pees or poops when he doesn't have his diaper on?  This is really only a concern if you're a parent like me who thinks that naked (or nearly naked) baby shots are just too cute.  I mean, their skin is so pure and smooth, and looks way better on them than any wrinkly (probably just a little too big) outfit we could have picked out. The photographer assured me that they wash the set items if need be and not to worry.

So first up: Evan in a brown knit bag with matching hat.  We could have left his diaper on for this one, but wanted to give his skin some time to rid any red marks from the elastic of his diaper, so we left it off.  By the time the photographer finished a few shots in this set up, I picked Evan up only to find a wet spot. Yep, he'd already pee'd.

"Hey mommy, guess what I'm doing right now?" lol.

Okay, so we managed to handle that alright, now was time to wrap him in a black material for a feet shot and then some other all black shots.  Then we heard the toot.  John said that it sounded dry and sure enough, he was right!  Whew!  We lucked out!

I told you in my blog post yesterday that he loves to suck on his fists!

We unwrapped the black material and it was clean and dry.  However, it was then while the photographer was getting a red and white scarf to wrap him in for the next set of shots that it happened.  This was the first time I'd ever seen it happen.  John has had the misfortune of some #2 accidents while he was changing Evan, but I had not.  Here was my little boy, laying butt naked on a black photo set, with his legs up exposing the yellow-ish bubbles coming out of his rear end.  Yes, he tooted again, and this one was the real deal.  I don't know how many wipes, and how many apologies to the photographer, it took but we also managed to survive that episode and continue with the photo shoot.

The photographer just helped us laugh it off, saying she'd definitely have laundry to do tonight!  We agreed that Evan is a little laundry maker.  She also told us that we'll always remember what happened just before the red and white scarf photos.  It was definitely an experience that I'll never forget.

"Sorry mommy, I just couldn't hold it any longer"

I think this was his response when we were all joking about telling this story at his 21st birthday party. :)

1 comment:

Louise said...

He is sooooo beautiful, where are the butt naked ones!!! I love the Anne Geddes photos, maybe while you are here we could do some like that :))