Monday, February 6, 2017

Moments to cherish

Since I use this blog as an online "baby book", I have to take a moment to record some of the little things the kids do that I want to remember.  

Today I have a handful of things that Emma has said lately that make me laugh or warm my heart, and also a few moments that have made me really proud of Evan.

Emma

She is definitely that kid that says things out loud that may embarrass me.  Just at the park the other day she did this twice:

1) We went past some kids skateboarding and she loudly exclaimed one of them was naked.  I explained to her that not really, he just had his shirt off but he was wearing pants.  But she went on to loudly clarify to me that the other guy was wearing clothes, but the first one was naked.  :)
2) I had just pushed her on the swing and she was going "so high" and giggling.  She loudly exclaimed that "it tickles in my pee pee!"  I asked her if she meant it tickles her tummy, and she repeated very loudly to clarify, "no mom, in my pee pee!"  I told her that was okay, but she doesn't need to say it so loud.  lol.  But she meant it...it was tickling her nether region! :O

Before bed one night we were counting our fingers.  She knew that one hand had five just by looking at it, but when I asked her how many were on both of my hands, she didn't know, so we counted them.  She did a great job counting them all the way to 10, and then she told me it was my turn to count her fingers.  As I started out, "one, two, three..." she interjected by saying "you're doing a great job".  What a sweet girl offering me praise for my efforts! :)

Evan 

Evan has been doing so well in kindergarten this year.  He is really excelling in all of his academic subjects.  He seems to be especially good at, and fond of, math, and according to his teacher he is also really good at problem solving.  That makes a "scientist mother" like myself awfully proud to hear. :) Last year in his pre-K school, on Earth Day I came and talked to the kids about clouds and this year his class is now in a Sun and Energy unit so I'm working with his teacher to come in and talk about clouds again too.  I was recently talking to him about that and asking him some of my inquiry-based questions (best to try out my lesson plan with someone his age beforehand, right?!) and he made me even more proud.  I know he's got an "in" when it comes to knowing about the weather, but he was doing great answering (and thinking about how to answer) many of my questions.  At the end he mentioned something about why do I come to talk about clouds to his classes since I did it last year too.  I asked him "what do I do for my job?" and he said in a very intentional and careful way, "a meteor-olo-gist".  I was so impressed that he knew that word and could say it too!  (Insert ear-to-ear grin). :)

Just last week, on February 2nd, it was Evan's 100th day of kindergarten.  They celebrated by asking the kids to bring in 100 of something (small items!) and they counted them out and laid them out on a piece of paper at their desks to talk about the number 100.  Evan has a thing for rocks, specifically crystals (like quartz), so we went to the park the weekend before and collected hundreds of rocks, and specifically, 100 little quartz crystals.  That is what he took for his collection of 100.  

My little goofball finding his crystals

Sorting into group of 10 and counting out to make sure he has 100 crystals

After his 100th day of school

No comments: