As I was about to do some blogging today, I stumbled across this partially written post. I'm sad that it's so late getting finished now, mostly because my memories of the details have already faded! But I'll do my best to capture the key moments that I want to remember for the future.
In the two last games of the season, Evan did much better than in the first part of the year. He definitely was more aggressive at getting the ball, albeit not the most aggressive player on the team. Nonetheless, he got the ball and every time that he did I think that helped boost his confidence to keep trying to get it again.
The second to last game fell on Halloween, and it was a rush of a day. Despite being tired, he played really well. He got he ball several times and even had one point where he was taking it down the field and essentially had an assist because just when he got it near the goal, one of his teammates took the ball from him to score the goal. The parent of that other player told us how sorry they were and that should have been Evan's goal, but that is part of the game I guess. That game was one of the first that I recall most every player getting a goal or getting close to it at least.
By Evan's last game, it was apparent that all the kids on the team had gained new skills through the season. Because each player had time with the ball and most everyone scored a goal. There was one play in particular that I still remember from Evan where he got the ball on the other side of the field, took it to the other side and tried to score a goal, but it didn't get in. We were so bummed, but then somehow he got the ball back and got himself a second chance to score, and then it went in! GOAL! The next sequence of photos documents the play. John and I were so proud of how aggressive he was in his quest to get the ball and score, and in general, how far he had come in just a few months since the beginning of the season!
Go get it Evan!
Evan got the ball and is taking it down the field to his goal!
Getting it closer to the goal!
Oh no, it isn't going to get in the goal...
Evan got it back and has a second chance to score...
And he takes it in and scores! Way to be aggressive buddy!
After the game, the team had one last huddle together and then a tunnel walk. Then the coach had brought little cupcakes, so the team had a little party to celebrate the great season. I'm really glad Evan had this experience. It was great for him to learn how to play as part of a team (which is something he'll still need to continue learning), and he got to spend time with some kids from his class to get to know them better, as well as make some other friends. It was great for us to be able to watch him interact with kids from school and in environments that challenged him both physically and socially. The coach was really patient and I would be in favor of getting Evan on the same team next time. However, we are likely going to take off the spring (in hopes of going to Australia!), and plan for another season of soccer next fall.
Hooray for a great season!
And it won't be long before our other little one will want to play too! We may very well have to consider starting Emma in a U4 league after she turns 3 next year, because she really enjoyed playing soccer from the sidelines and when the games were not being played! She has always been good about watching Evan during swimming lessons, but during soccer practices and games she always wanted to get in on the action.
And she scores a goal!


No comments:
Post a Comment