Saturday, June 6, 2015

A whole bunch of Evan stories: Part I

I've been collecting a lot of Evan stories lately, but just haven't had the time to blog much at all, so they've been piling up.  Some are funny, some are just describing milestones or what he's into these days.  Anyway, here is Part I of these stories.  More will come in a few days for Part II.

Good Haircuts
Evan got a haircut recently and it went really well!  He finally let the lady use the trimmers around his neck too!  He was a bit jumpy at first, and he still wanted to sit on my lap, but it was really the first time he got a good haircut!  It's growing out nicely too, but soon it will be time to get him back again.  And with each good experience, I hope he'll get even more comfortable for the next!  Of course, he loved getting a lollipop afterward too!



Bottoms, Butts, or Bums
Evan has a recent obsession with butts.  Not just the word, but also what butts do, what they look like, etc.  I was kind of getting tired of hearing the word butt so I told him that it's not a very nice word to say and suggested that he used the word bottom instead. Because honestly that's what I always use when I'm telling the kids "sit down on your bottom", "let me clean your bottom", etc. I don't think butt is a bad word and I don't really want to ban my son from saying it, but I just think that there are softer words that can be used as well. I had no idea that Evan would take this very seriously and become the policeman for people that use the word butt though. He started tattle telling on everybody he knew that use the word, including us sometimes, and told us we should not say butt, rather we should say bottom. At least he was listening to me, and I wish he would take all the other things that I've tried to tell him to do seriously as much as this. One funny thing about this though is that I call him buddy all the time. "Hey buddy, how you doing?",  "Good night buddy",  that kind of thing. Well I think Evan thinks the word buddy is me saying "butty" because he started to tell me not to call him buddy because that's not a nice word.  He also thinks the word "bummer" is another name for your bum. So when he would hear me say "oh that's a bummer!" he always thought I was talking about something about bottoms!

Playstation Sportstar
Evan loves video games, but lately I'm happy to report some of the games he wants to play are on the Playstation Move, which means he's up and moving around! He loves to do archery, and tennis and golf, and even some of the other sports games we have (like volley ball, bocce ball, and table tennis).  He's quite good at tennis and golf actually.  It makes me wonder how he'll react to playing those sports for real if it isn't as easy as playing the video game.  But at least he's learning the rules to those games a little bit and taking interest in them.
Playing tennis...look at seriously focused face and that swing follow through!

Stomach Bugs
(Warning--somewhat graphic story about bodily functions): I'm guessing it's been well over a month now, but poor Evan had a bad case of the runs.  Then in the last couple weeks he had another stomach bug, but this one just made him throw up.  I was impressed that he could recognize his need to throw up and tell us (such that we were able to get a bowl or something for him).  Given how few times he's thrown up, I don't know how he knew that was what his body was telling him, but good for him for paying attention to what his body was conveying!  We escaped that 24-hour bug without any major puke-all-over-the-bed/room situations!  He did have a little bit that got on the floor, for which he was very apologetic.  It was sweet, but I told him he did not need to apologize for that...poor guy.  Anyway, back to the first bug...since Evan is potty trained now these are the worst for us, because he may think he just needs to toot, but yet it may be a bit of the runs.  Not fun cleaning up those dirty underwear!  Beyond that, he had one of those pretty explosive moments while sitting on the toilet.  It was loud and probably felt very strange to him.  Needless to say,  he was really startled by it....again...poor guy.

Evan Phrases
On a happier/funnier note, here are some funny things I've caught Evan saying lately:
  • "Look I'm growing nipples Mommy. Do you love that my nipples are growing?"
  • He now uses the phrase "as well" a lot.  Ex. "Do you want one as well Mommy?" or when he was playing with his Scout toy and it asked him a question like "My favorite food is raspberries.  Evan, do you like raspberries too?", Evan would reply and say "I like them as well."
  • Not sure where he heard this number, but he is obsessed with bugs he sees outside, especially the piles of ants in various places along the sidewalk.  On a recent walk, he said "Look, there's millions of ants!"
  • "What is my stomach telling me?" (if he's talking about being hungry or full, he refers to it as if his stomach is talking to him giving him these messages...) or "What is my body telling me?"  (sleepy, etc).
No Filter
I know kids have no filter and I've been wondering what funny, or really embarrassing, things my kids will say around other people.  So far, nothing has really been too bad, and even this example that I'm about to recount isn't the worst that could happen.  Yet, I still can't stop laughing (and feeling really embarrassed) when I think back on it.  This story took place at a friend's house where we'd been invited over for dinner.  After dinner we were just hanging out and letting the kids play with some toys/games in their living room. I was talking to my friend, who was sitting on the floor with me and the kids.  Suddenly, Evan asked me "where's Grandpa?"  I was unsure why this came up suddenly, but I told him he's in Texas.  But then Evan asked again looking around the room, as if he expected to see Grandpa somewhere there.  Then it dawned on me (and my friend), that he was referring to my friend's husband!  (OMG...I still cannot contain my embarrassed laughter on this one as I recount this story and it's been at least a month since it happened!)  My friend's husband is in no way old enough to look like a grandpa nor be a grandpa.  And to a grown up's eye, he doesn't look like one.  However, he is balding and so is my step-dad that Evan refers to as Grandpa.  So somehow Evan must have thought the two looked enough alike and got them confused.  Such an innocent mistake by my child, that can potentially be so insulting to an adult.  Nonetheless, "Grandpa" took it with a sense of humor and commented that "we must have similar haircuts...".

Having a cup of hot cocoa with Mommy on a cool, rainy afternoon (left) and climbing up the playground on his own at "the ranch park" (right)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Haha- I love these stories, so cute!