--Army crawling
--Rocking on hands and knees
--Babbling (some B and M sounds)
--Overnights away from Mommy (i.e. Mommy traveled solo for work…twice!)
--Hand feeding (Baby mum mum crackers)
--Signing "more"
Emma has gotten very good at her army crawl…she can get to just about anywhere she wants to go and pretty fast too. She often scoots on into the dining room to check out Evan's train tracks or into the kitchen to see what I'm doing or over to the shoe rack to see how they taste. Yes, I said it. I even caught her trying to kiss the bottom stair last night. No idea why she thought the carpeted step looked like something worth trying to suck on. When she does these things we move her back to the center of the living room floor where her toys are. Sometimes she'll get into playing with her toys again and others she'll go right back to where you had taken her from. Now that she's sitting up well, I find that if I leave her sitting up with some toys she'll stay put longer. Maybe that's because she's not in crawl position and she hasn't quite figured out how to get from sit to crawl position very quickly…yet. She also gets onto her hands and knees and rocks a lot. It seems only a matter of time for her to take that next step to full on crawling.
Hands and knees practice
She still does not have any teeth. It seems like we've though she was teething for so long now, but I still don't see anything close to popping through. I'm very pleased that she's started working on babbling with the "b" sound and occasionally the "m" sound too (I swear I've heard a "mum" sound here and there)…she still makes a lot of humming/moaning and raspberry sounds mostly though. I've noticed that she now responds when I call or say her Emma by looking in my direction. She is also still quite grabby at anything that catches her interest.
She wears size 9 month clothes mostly still, but I did have to start putting her in some 12 month size sleepers. I'm so glad that it's finally warm enough for her to start wearing more of her shorts and dresses too. She's still in size 3 pampers diapers, and I have no idea how much she weighs now but I'm amazingly still carrying her around in her carseat. It's heavy, but a good arm workout.
Loving the summery weather so she can wear dresses!
Mealtime:Emma still takes 5 oz of breastmilk per bottle and is eating 3 meals a day of solid foods. In the past months she's tried the following new foods: chicken, turkey, cranberry, apricot, prunes, squash, and baby mum mum crackers. The latter she will not be getting again for at least another month. While I thought they would be a good handheld snack for her to munch on (or rather suck on) while we ate dinner, I learned the other day that she is not old enough for them. The first time she tried it (see photos below) she liked playing with it and tasted it a little bit…but didn't really eat any of it. The second time I gave her one she ended up breaking off a piece of it in her mouth and while they dissolve on their own, she started gagging a bit with it on her tongue. So I went over to fish it out of her mouth, but by the time I got there she had tried swallowing it, which then immediately made her gag more. As I was about to get her out of her chair to help pat her back and get it out, she very easily just threw up everything she had in her belly. It just all came flowing out. Well, at least her gag reflex works!
Goofy grins, and first tastes of a Baby mum mum rice cracker
I've been trying to teach her the signs for "food/eat", "more", "all done", and "drink" ever since she started solid foods. Lately during some meals it seems as if she's trying to sign "more". She'll bring her hands together in front of her and clasp them together. I tried to get a video of it recently, and then just tonight at dinner she got pretty insistent with it (in addition to bringing her hands together for "more" she also banged her hand on her tray while whining a bit too). Needless to say I opened a new jar of food because clearly she was still hungry!
Video of "Emma signs for more"
Sleep time:
Emma has been sleeping very well from her bedtime (8pm) until 5-6am. Sometimes she wakes around 4am, but that is pretty rare. She usually will still feed on one side and go back to sleep for another couple hours, usually until 7-8am. However, just last night she slept the whole night through until after 7am! :)
She still likes to sleep on her stomach, often with her face planted into sheets most of the time. Talk about a way to freak me and John out! We have found ourselves going in and trying to turn her head to the side a few times, just when it seems as if she's really face first into the bed.
She naps very well. It's amazing how well she goes down for naps…when we're at home and she's in her crib. Naps while we're out and about are more difficult for her, and therefore I don't do that with her very often. At home I do squats with her cradled in my arms and then rock her a bit and then lay her in her crib. She may fuss for a few minutes, but usually she's out pretty easily and sleeps for 1-2 hours per nap. She takes two naps per day most often, but sometimes three…she's definitely in the transition down from three to two though.
Play time for Emma is pretty much the same as last month, except now she army crawls to get to whatever it is she wants to play with. Emma still likes her Little Squeakers eggs, chunky puzzle, stacking rings, and her musical guitar….though once she's made a mess of those things she often scoots over to the TV stand to pull out all the books.
Digging out the books from the TV stand
Emma loves making a mess of her toys
She also really is interested in Evan's toys though, like his train set, cars, trucks, etc. She is kind of the Godzilla of the railway…she scoots up and hovers over the tracks. Then she grabs at them and pulls them apart, and also occasionally puts a piece of track in her mouth. Evan gets pretty upset that she breaks up his tracks, but seriously the moment you move her back to the living room she makes her way back again.
Godzilla of the railway
I absolutely love when she smiles when she sees me, and often will start bouncing her body in John's arms if he's holding her when she first sees me (like in the morning or after I get home from work). Her excited bouncing is just too cute. She gives the cutest toothless grins, and she squeals and giggles a lot. She is certainly a happy baby! She is still so mild tempered. We can go out somewhere and while Evan whines and complains, she won't make a peep. I can sit her down with some toys and she'll play for quite awhile on her own. I can't get enough of kissing her cheeks and chubby arms and thighs. As she starts to crawl more and then eventually walk, I know those rolls will start to melt away. I'm enjoying them as much as I can while they last! :)
I sure love my healthy and happy baby girl!





















No comments:
Post a Comment