Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Our growing boy

The 5th of the month means Evan is yet another month older.  And this month he certainly seems much older to me.

For one, he is going to eat us out of house and home!  I didn't think this would happen until the teenage years, but for some reason Evan has suddenly got quite the appetite!  He has always eaten a big breakfast (or "breakmust" as he pronouces it, which he actually more often calls it "brekky" now).  He'll eat a big bowl (or sometimes two) of rice bubbles (i.e. Rice Krispies as we call them in the US), and then have a whole grain toaster waffle or a pancake too.  Sometimes we'll scramble some eggs or cook some bacon in addition to these other breakfast staples of his.  He just can't get enough breakfast food, that's for sure!

He now also eats really good at lunch and dinner.  And of course he also has plenty of snacks throughout the day.  His most common thing to tell me when I pick him up from daycare is that he ate all his food!  He usually recites he had apples, bananas, and oranges.  He still loves his fruit!  But he also loves his pasta!  Whenever I make pasta for dinner he eats so much that I think I'm going to have to start making more.  The concept of him eating a little bit just isn't working anymore.  He needs a full size serving it seems!

This past weekend we went out to dinner as a family for the first time in a long time.  And it went surprisingly well!  Keeping Evan entertained with food was the main gig.  We ordered pepperoni rolls for an appetizer, then he nibbled on the salads that came with John and my meals, and then he had spaghetti (which he pronounces as "pahsketti"...so cute!) with a big meatball (which I cut up for him).  He wolfed the meatball down so fast, and then ate heaps of spaghetti and had nibbles from John's pasta dish too.  The portions at this restaurant were huge, so we had leftovers from each of our meals to take home and I even took home half my salad.  The next day for lunch Evan and I finished off the salad and spaghetti (which there seemed to be lots left), however Evan ate most of it!  He had about three bowls of it and wanted more and more!  He also helped me eat my salad, had some cheese, and then finished up with a cookie.  I had to find other things to fill me up because he ate so much of the leftovers!

Yes, he made quite a mess devouring all those bowls of spaghetti!

Some other noteworthy recent stories:

Evan is still working on potty training.  He seems to have had a bit of a regression in recent weeks, but I have heard from other parents this is common.  Hopefully I'll have more potty training success stories to share soon.  In the meantime, I unfortunately have just had a lot of nasty wet pants and poop clean up stories.  (Let's just say I dread hearing him say "what's that?" referring to poop in his bottom...)

Evan got his first pair of slippers.  Lightning McQueen, which he helped me pick out at the store.  And, he still loves his legos, which he still pronounces "Mangoes".  He tries hard to get the "l" sound when I work with him on this, but it more naturally comes out as an "m" sound to him.

Loves playing with his "Planes" legos wearing his new slippers

Evan really seems to like it when I tell him how good he looks.  When he gets dressed into a super cute outfit or his footed one-piece pajamas (that I think are just oh so cute on him), I tell him how he is a little cutie pie or that he's looking sharp.  He smiles (nearly blushing) and I can tell he feels good about himself.
Lookin' sharp!  And how about them super cute pjs!

Evan is all about airplanes.  I sometimes wonder if John wasn't a pilot if this would have happened anyway, but regardless it's Evan's passion right now.  He loves playing a Puzzingo game on his Nabi (or our phones) that is all about aircraft.  He loves to fly and race his airplanes around the house.  He even does tricks with them that I taught him ("knife edge" or "barrel rolls").  He'll make his plane do the trick in his hand and call out the trick name at the same time, just the way I had done it for him once.  He pretends his fork is an airplane at dinner and flies it around, into his mouth, or lands it on the table.  His favorite Barney episode is about travel "Planes, Trains, and Cars", and he always wants to watch what he calls "Barney Airplane".  He even likes to flip through one of John's many aviation magazines to point out the "airplane jet!"'s that he sees on the pages.  And so when a friend of ours  gave Evan an aviator style hat for Christmas I couldn't help but pair it with his bomber jacket and snap a photo.

 
My little aviator!  Flying his Planes (which he knows and calls by name)!

I usually bribe Evan with snacks while we do our grocery shopping, and I'll usually buy a cheese snack in the last aisle and let him eat it while we check out (after I've had them scan it).  Lately he's been asking for more things too, like Starbucks (there is one right in the entry of the store) and "the horse".  I didn't know what he meant at first, because I had never let him ride it (nor had I even noticed it because we'd never checked out at a lane that made us walk past it), but John had let him check it out once.  So after his requests (i.e. more like demands) I took him there as an end of shopping trip reward.  I was delighted to find it was only a penny for a ride!  However, once he got on he wasn't so sure about it.  While it barely moves, I think it was still too new of an experience for him (turns out when John took him to it, it wasn't working so this was his first time actually riding it!).  Either way, having my kid riding the rides at the stores is one more sign he's growing up.  Heck, I can remember doing that (or rather wanting to do it, I don't think my parents obliged that many times!) when I was a kid!

Riding the horse at the grocery store! 

While Evan has certainly started to show signs of annoyance with his baby sister (i.e. when I have to feed or change her instead of tend to him..."Nooo!  Don't feed her!" comes out of his mouth), he still loves her a lot.  He prefers days at daycare when she is there with him.  He still wants her to snuggle him before bed or nap time.  He loves to help make her laugh.  And seeing him next to her is still one of the surest ways to remind myself that my baby boy is no baby.
Loving big brother....gotta love those puppy dog eyes! :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Too cute! The horse ride at the store is actually one of the best ways to bribe Nora to go without fuss. She loves it!
He's such a good eater. Nora has meals where she eats like this but then other days where she won't eat hardly anything. Do you know how much evan has gained this year? I think nora has grown in height but not at all in weight! She's still about 30 lbs like she was over the summer, which is kind of crazy. I knew my genes would have to kick in sooner or later :)

Sazzle said...

That's funny that you mention that Amy, because I've been surprised by how little weight he's gained this year too! He's also been sitting right around 30 lbs for quite awhile now! He's definitely growing taller though (he can reach so many things I wish he still couldn't!).