Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The cat's meow

Evan is constantly amazing me with everything that he understands.  (Now I just wish he understood, or rather obeyed because I'm pretty sure he understands, when we tell him no!)

He has learned to point to new things around the house like the fridge, sink, shoes, and his wooden duck toy ("ducky").  He even points to tables and couches at other people's homes, so I am very glad to know he knows the actual concept of these things, rather than just having memorized ours in our home.    As I've been working with him on these concepts, I've also been learning how to better understand his language of what he says to me.

In his 13-month update, I mentioned he refers to milk as "bup".   In the past week, I also realized that he refers to food served during his meals two ways: 1) by smacking his lips (that is his response to me when I ask him if he's hungry and wants to eat), and 2) by saying "unh-che" (a two syllable sound).  I at first thought that was his word for cheese, as I realized he was saying it a lot when I was feeding him cheese yesterday, but then in subsequent meals and foods he said it a lot too.  So it'll take me some more time to sort out exactly what he may be trying to say with it, but it's always a mealtime word.

I also realized that Evan is now meowing to the cat.  When he does it it sounds like he's saying "mum" in a high-pitched tone.  Thus, I thought he was referring to me as mama that way sometimes.  However, the other day when I was working with him on his understanding my questions ("Where is the ___?") I decided to ask him "What does the kitty cat say?" just to see what he'd say, and to my surprise he answered straight away by saying "mum".  Ever since I started pointing out the cats to Evan (which was when he was very young, since he's been obsessed with them for months and months now!), I would say "that's a kitty cat, the kitty cat says meow".  Thus, I guess he'd been listening and learning.  Plus he probably was trying to mimic the sounds he heard the cats make too.

Anyway, he rarely says "gat" for cat anymore, rather he meows when he sees them.  However, he also meows when he sees dogs while we're out on our walks.  Thus, I just keep saying, "Those are dogs, they say "woof woof".  Let's see how much longer it'll be before he'll know the difference.

Video of Evan's meow

1 comment:

Amy said...

Maybe he's trying to say "lunch"? lol.

It probably won't be long before he works out the sounds. Nora finally stopped saying "beep beep" when we asked her what a dog says. :)