Sunday, April 22, 2012

Moving forward

This past Friday evening, we were enjoying a family "Friday night treat night" together.  This tradition includes take out for dinner and usually a movie.  We often pop the movie in after Evan's gone to bed though, so after dinner we have some time to play with Evan before putting him down for the night.

This particular evening, Evan gave us both quite the surprise.  Instead of giving up and moving onto the next closer toy as he played on the floor and his toys rolled out of his reach, he dug his arms into the ground, straightened his legs, and pulled/scooted himself forward!  While I don't think this is a perfect "army crawl", it could be the first stages of such a style of baby movement.  Either way, he's now able to (slowly) get himself moving in the direction he wants to go.  

As I sit here typing while he plays and scoots around on the floor near me, I still am not sure exactly what he's doing to move forward.  At times I think he straightens his legs and points his toes to use his toes to push from.  Other times I think he's pulling himself with his arms more, and thus straightening his legs up off the floor maybe reduces the friction, better enabling the movement when he pulls.  Either way, he's worked out something that works for him for now.  My sister likens it to the breakdancing move called "the worm".   That may not be a half bad way of describing it!  

Check out Evan doing "the worm".

(And in honor of my sister's keen observation about his new movement, I thought I'd share some photos of Evan in the outfit she got for him.  Although who would have ever guessed she got him such an outfit!? lol)  


The downside to this movement is that it involves a lot of rubbing on the carpet, which as of last night did give him some minor rug burns on his knees/elbows.  A little bit of Aquaphor overnight helped heal that though, and we'll just try to keep him wearing long pants and sleeves if it's not too hot.  The other downside to Evan's newly found mode of transportation is that we are just one more step closer to really needing to baby proof the house.  While I've been saying this for the past month (or more), it's finally time to get serious about it since Evan's officially on the move! :)

3 comments:

Julie Wiens said...

Oh boy! Evan's moving evolution seems to be picking up steam. Won't be long till you will be running after him.

Julie Wiens said...

Hey! Where did you get that cool shape box? I want one for Logan!

Sazzle said...

It's the Tolo rolling shape sorter. We got it at a garage sale last year, but I think I've seen it on Amazon. Not sure what stores may sell it. He loves how it rolls and when the shapes are inside it rattles loudly as it rolls. :)