Friday, October 7, 2011

(Heart) Aches and pains of parenting


Yesterday Evan had his two month check up, which also meant a full round of immunization shots.  Babies are typically irritable and may run a fever after all of these shots, as they don't feel well while their bodies accept the vaccines.  After Evan got over the initial pain and upset from getting the actual shots he was very sleepy and napped for several hours.  When he woke up from that nap he had a lot of screechy cries, but then he didn't really cry much, but rather he whined.  You know that light moaning whinge you want to do (or may actually do) when you just feel crummy...well that's what Evan did all afternoon and evening.  We did give him children's tylenol, but he spat most of it back up so we're not sure how much that helped him.  I held him, talked to him, and fed him (though he didn't want to eat as much as normal either), but overall there wasn't much else I could do for him.  I was successfully able to give him the tylenol four hours later, and after feeding him and holding him he fell asleep for the night and still slept pretty well for us (for six hours).  Either way, it sure broke my heart to hear his little whimpers and know he's hurting, without much that I could do to help him. :(  

Speaking of crying, when Evan's Nana was here we took Evan on many walks around the neighborhood.  Since she left we've taken him on three walks.  The first he cried the whole time!  When we got home we realized it was close to his next feeding time, so maybe he was crying due to hunger.  Thus, since then we make sure to feed him right before we set off on a walk.  However, he has still fussed most of the walk usually causing us to shorten the walk and take a direct path home.  We walk past neighbors out in their yards and driveways and past other joggers and walkers with the sound of a crying baby coming out of our stroller.  I don't know why he is suddenly not enjoying his walks, but I hope it's a phase he gets over soon as it's awfully embarrassing to have our neighbors hear him constantly crying like that.  I don't think I've ever noticed anyone walking by our house with their baby in stroller with it crying the whole time. :(

Adding insult to injury

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm too scared to trim Evan's fingernails so John has been the one who does it, and he does a great job at it!  Nonetheless, while John was trimming Evan's nails this past week he accidentally nipped the skin.  He was trimming them while Evan was awake since he was in a very calm mood, and Evan just happened to jerk his hand right as John was clipping.  It was bleeding a bit, but we washed it up and put some ointment and a bandaid on it.  However, his finger was so small so we had to wrap some medical tape around his finger to keep the bandaid in place.  Our little bandage job ended up looking like a mini cast on his finger.  After the ordeal, we concluded that nail trims should only be done while he's sleeping to avoid the unpredictable movements, but John also declared that he can just wear mitts from now on!  I'm sure this is something that every new parent encounters, but no matter how common it may be, it still is heartbreaking to know you've hurt your child.

Evan showing off his finger "cast"

I also accidentally injured Evan for the first time this past week (the day before the nail trimming ordeal) when I was putting a onesie on over his head.  Evan has never been a big fan of the shirts going over his head, especially if they are not stretched open really wide.  This time, however, sealed the deal.  After I got it over his head, he suddenly started crying really hard with the "I'm in pain" cry.  His head turned bright red and I saw this white mark arcing across the top of his head.  Turns out that one of the snaps from his onesie must have scratched across the top of his head when I put the shirt on him.  I felt horrible given that after it had been done I couldn't fix it or take it back.  I just kissed it and held him, hoping to make him feel better.  The same way John consoled him after the fingertip nip; hold him and hope he forgives us quickly.

Experiences like these can make me feel like a terrible parent.  Lucky for us they have been the exception rather than the rule so far.  And although I am sure as Evan grows up there will be more bumps and bruises and tears and tantrums that give us more heartaches and pains along the way, we'll just have lots of hugs, and the box of bandaids, ready for when the next one strikes.



1 comment:

Louise said...

I know it is soo hard when you accidentally hurt your baby, you feel terrible, we've all done it, but I think you and John are doing a wonderful job, this is your first baby and you are learning along the way, you are both loving, caring, wonderful parents :)