Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Spring Break 2017

Now that Evan's in school, we have to live more by the school calendar.  There are a few 4-day weekends (like the one we took the kids skiing), and then a few full weeks off.  Spring Break is the full week off in the 2nd semester, and while we didn't take any trips this year, we did try to fill it with fun stuff for Evan.

Incidentally, Spring Break started on my birthday (a Friday), so we all had a family day in which we took both kids to a bounce house place and out for lunch.  On the following Friday, we did another family day and took both kids to a discovery museum in Fort Collins.  On the other days John and I alternated watching Evan.  John took Evan swimming at the indoor Rec Center pool one day and I took him for a long bike ride to the BMX track, picnic at the park, and then followed that with his first time to golf (driving range only).  He also spent an afternoon at a Ninja Camp at the gymnastics center where he's taking gymnastics classes every week.

When we went to the BMX track he mastered the smaller BMX hills this day, by not putting his feet down at the top of the hill, but just continuing on over it!  Then he showed me that he's learning to control his frustration and anger when we went golfing.  Of course, it was really tricky for him to hit the ball. He had many swings where he never hit it.  At one point, he did get upset and cried for a second, but then I asked him what I did when I missed (because he had seen me miss a few times too). He responded by saying "no cry", and I said, "yes, but I also kept trying".  He got right back at it and eventually figured out how to hit quite a few balls.  I think his irons were easier for him than the woods.  Either way, I told him how proud I was that he didn't give up.  He really is maturing...incrementally, but I'm noticing it and I make sure to let him know.

This boy loves to be silly!



Mastering the BMX track hills!


A budding golfer...look at that happy smile!  He loved it (once he got the hang of it in particular)

Drumming at the Discovery Museum


DJ'ing and playing with water at the Discovery Museum

No comments: