Some of my sadness in recent summers' ends have also been tied with postpartum blues, given that I gave birth to both of my children in the late summer (Evan early August, Emma in late September). After coming home with both kids there were songs playing on the radio that will forever remind me of those precious and early moments with them. In fact, I had so many songs I remembered listening to with Evan that I had planned to write a blog about it way back when, but never did.
Well, now as I start to feel these emotions in late summer once again, there are some new songs that are becoming my current soundtrack to this time of year that I will also cherish and hold dear, with memories of spending moments with my family. I figured I might as well record these soundtracks for future posterity before I forget once again. Maybe someday I'll make official playlists of them so I can reminisce whenever I want to.
Evan's birth summer 2011
After Evan was born, I was home for three months on maternity leave. Most days it was just me and him, and I found myself listening to a lot of music, so have several songs that remind me of those days.
Good life by One Republic was my absolute favorite song to listen to while dancing with newborn Evan in my arms in our living room. It really is a good life, and having my newly born first child to hold, cuddle, and kiss was just proof in the pudding. There were some lyrics in there that really rang true to me: "...I'm taking a mental picture of you now...we have so much to feel good about" and then the last line "please tell me, what there is to complain about." Absolutely nothing. Yes, I may be sad that summer is nearly over, but there is so much to look forward to nonetheless.
Wiz Khalifa--Roll Up. This one may be a bit out of the theme, but I found myself singing this song to Evan when it came on and changing the lyrics to be Whenever you cry, I roll up, I roll up, whenever you cry baby I roll up...". lol. [Instead of whenever you call....]
Bruno Mars-Bad meets Evil--Lighters. A nice sentimental ballad (with a rap component too) that was popular at the time.
A few other pop songs that were on a lot, that I enjoyed a good bit were:
A few other pop songs that were on a lot, that I enjoyed a good bit were:
- Dragonette--Hello
- Ne-Yo and Pitbull--Give me everything
- Flo Rida and David Guetta--Where the girls at? (This was around the time I started to really enjoy David Guetta songs...)
Emma's birth summer 2013
I didn't write down songs after Emma was born (as I had when Evan was born above), so I don't remember as many songs, but there are a few that I definitely remember.
"Summertime sadness remix", in which the title of the song at least seems to convey some of my emotion at this time of year, yet in an upbeat fun song to listen to during the end of summer melancholy feeling.
Enya's "Teahouse Moon" was playing in my delivery room when Emma was born, and so I found myself playing that a lot after she was born to live in that moment longer.
This summer
There has been a resurgence in songs lately that have an 80s feel to them, and I'm totally digging it! Take Taylor Swift's 1989 album, for example, and the song "Style", which I absolutely am loving this summer! Those songs are pretty cool and add to my nostalgic late summer vibe, but the kids have also been watching the movie "Home" lately, which I have found has a very awesome soundtrack and brings out the sentimental side in me very easily (both when watching the movie and when just listening to the songs on there own)! I would really encourage you to listen to this soundtrack if you haven't (and watch the movie too, because it's fun and cute too). It's got a good bit of R&B and club music beats, but also some sappy ballads too.
Here is the full Home soundtrack on YouTube. I'm going to list a few of my favorites that are currently part of my late summer 2015 soundtrack below, but really I am just really into the whole album.
"Run to me" by Clarence Coffee, which I spent a recent late summer evening twirling circles and jumping/bouncing in the backyard with the kids to this song. It seems to me to be the perfect bouncy twirling song for a late summer's eve.
"Feel the Light" by Jennifer Lopez. Get out the tissues for this one. Both in the movie and out of it. It's beautiful. Sitting outside on a warm late summer's evening is the perfect way to enjoy this one too. We had a fire pit the other night with this soundtrack on, and it was perfect to chill out to and look up at the late evening sky.
"Dancing in the Dark" by Rihanna. Shake your groove thing, or your Boov thing, to this beat.
"Red Balloon" by Charlie XCX is such a fun song to groove to with the kids. Think doing the twist. :)
"Towards the Sun" by Rihanna. I can't help but feel uplifted when I hear this song.
There are a few other songs that are just fun, club-like grooves (the Gorg attack song called "Drop that" and the Slushious theme song too). Anyway, I'm pretty addicted to these songs right now such that this is all I want to listen to, and that's good since it's all the kids want to watch on TV too. I hope I don't get worn out on these songs by listening to them too much, but either way, they will always be a sentimental soundtrack from this time in my life.
I didn't write down songs after Emma was born (as I had when Evan was born above), so I don't remember as many songs, but there are a few that I definitely remember.
"Summertime sadness remix", in which the title of the song at least seems to convey some of my emotion at this time of year, yet in an upbeat fun song to listen to during the end of summer melancholy feeling.
Enya's "Teahouse Moon" was playing in my delivery room when Emma was born, and so I found myself playing that a lot after she was born to live in that moment longer.
This summer
There has been a resurgence in songs lately that have an 80s feel to them, and I'm totally digging it! Take Taylor Swift's 1989 album, for example, and the song "Style", which I absolutely am loving this summer! Those songs are pretty cool and add to my nostalgic late summer vibe, but the kids have also been watching the movie "Home" lately, which I have found has a very awesome soundtrack and brings out the sentimental side in me very easily (both when watching the movie and when just listening to the songs on there own)! I would really encourage you to listen to this soundtrack if you haven't (and watch the movie too, because it's fun and cute too). It's got a good bit of R&B and club music beats, but also some sappy ballads too.
Here is the full Home soundtrack on YouTube. I'm going to list a few of my favorites that are currently part of my late summer 2015 soundtrack below, but really I am just really into the whole album.
"Run to me" by Clarence Coffee, which I spent a recent late summer evening twirling circles and jumping/bouncing in the backyard with the kids to this song. It seems to me to be the perfect bouncy twirling song for a late summer's eve.
"Feel the Light" by Jennifer Lopez. Get out the tissues for this one. Both in the movie and out of it. It's beautiful. Sitting outside on a warm late summer's evening is the perfect way to enjoy this one too. We had a fire pit the other night with this soundtrack on, and it was perfect to chill out to and look up at the late evening sky.
"Dancing in the Dark" by Rihanna. Shake your groove thing, or your Boov thing, to this beat.
"Red Balloon" by Charlie XCX is such a fun song to groove to with the kids. Think doing the twist. :)
"Towards the Sun" by Rihanna. I can't help but feel uplifted when I hear this song.
There are a few other songs that are just fun, club-like grooves (the Gorg attack song called "Drop that" and the Slushious theme song too). Anyway, I'm pretty addicted to these songs right now such that this is all I want to listen to, and that's good since it's all the kids want to watch on TV too. I hope I don't get worn out on these songs by listening to them too much, but either way, they will always be a sentimental soundtrack from this time in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment