Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Evan's 4th birthday party: Party prep and plan

Today Evan turned 4 years old!  We celebrated his birthday with a party this past weekend.  The day before his party we went to get his haircut.  Evan is now very good about getting his haircut, although he does get a bit serious or jumpy at times.  

Getting a fresh look for his birthday party!

On the day of his party, he woke up to find a bicycle decorated with balloons and ribbon in the middle of the living room floor.  He had just come down the stairs part of the way, when he saw it and exclaimed "What?!?  What is that?  Is that a motorcycle?"  It was so cute.  His excitement did not disappoint.  Then he noticed how the house was decorated with balloons and birthday banners and was even more excited for his party.  He kept asking if it was going to start right then and if his friends were coming over right away.  He had a few more hours to wait for that though.

This year I asked Evan what he wanted for his birthday party and he said a water party.  Good thing his birthday is in the prime of summer so such a party can be had!  I also asked Evan what he wanted for his cake, and he said he wanted Firman Sam on his cake and he wanted a "brown cake" (i.e. chocolate).  So, for the cake,  I ordered a Fireman Sam toy figurine on Amazon and put him on top of a custom decorated chocolate cake.  I also picked up a small fire truck toy to set next to him.  I love using number candles so I got a brightly colored "4" for the cake too.  Evan loved it because he though it looked like Fireman Sam was standing in mud.  He was very excited about his cake though, so even while I went simple this year with the cake decor (just asked for some colored trim to match the party colors of aqua and yellow), it worked out great.   I chose aqua and yellow for party colors given aqua is like water, and yellow like the sun.  I figured that was bright and would be a good set of colors to decorate with for a summery water party.

Evan with his cake before the party, and a cake close up.

I kept the food for this party pretty simple too.  Sandwiches, chips, and watermelon were the main attractions.  I made a stack of PB&J sandwiches (aimed for the kids) and ordered a platter of assorted cocktail sandwiches (aimed for the adults).  I chose to get the individual bags of chips to make that more fun (Evan loves to get things like that out of vending machines, and he loved being able to choose his own flavor/type).  I made a bean salad as well, for a GF option.  I also made lemonade and got juice boxes for the kids. 

The party food table

The kids table was set up outside with applesauce on every place setting and grapes, for snacks.  Each place had a water squirter as well, to kick off the water fight/play and also to be a take home party gift.  

Evan's getting really excited (and also a bit antsy) for his party to start!

Besides the water squirters, I bought a load of some water splash balls (meant to be used like water balloons, sans the balloon pieces to pick up afterward!), and John set out buckets of water around the backyard as refill stations for the squirters and water balls.  We also blew up our inflatable pool and put a toy slide into it, which the kids enjoyed.  We put water in our water table as well.  There were several "stations" around the backyard for water play needless to say.  Then later in the party we unveiled a slip n slide for more water play fun! When I showed Evan the slip n slide box earlier in the morning, as a surprise for his party, his reaction was priceless!  He got all jumpy and excited saying "yes yes yes!  this is what I wanted!  yes!"  He has such a love for water slides now that I knew he would want some kind of water slide at his water party.  So, between the slip n slide and the slide into the baby pool, I was hoping that would satisfy his wishes.  I think it worked out perfectly!  I'll share the rest of the party stories in another post to come soon....



No comments: