A really cool thing that I got to reminisce about was the family trunk that my ancestors used when they came to America from Germany in the mid 1800's. I'd seen it before as a kid, but hadn't since. My aunt had it restored recently and now has it in her home. It was so neat to see it again and read the writing on it. I remembered seeing it as a kid thinking how they'd changed the spelling of our last name after we arrived. However, that was before I learned how the double S letter is written in German. :)

My aunt also had another family keepsake set out that Evan quite enjoyed. It was a little kid's wooden rocking chair. It was the perfect size for him. My aunt told me it was probably over 100 years old, given it was my great grandmother's when she was a child. What a quality piece of furniture to last that long (especially when used by kids!).


No comments:
Post a Comment