Saturday, July 12, 2014

What happened to mommy and daddy?

Lately, Evan has been experimenting with calling us by a variety of names.

First off, he often will call us by our first names now, or by the pet names that John and I use to call each other.  This only makes sense because he hears us calling for each other these ways and so he's just copying that.  There is something cute, but a bit awkward, about hearing my son yell out "Sawah!"

Then, he's been coming up with new offshoots of mommy and daddy to call us too.  He went through a phase of calling us "Mommia" and "Daddia".  I have no idea where that one came from.  It seemed like anything that ended in a 'y' sound he was adding the 'iah' to during that phase.

That has now morphed into a phase of him calling us "Mommy-mom" and "Daddy-dad".  I haven't heard him say the latter too often (probably because John's been busy working a lot lately), but this past week if he wanted my attention I heard "Mommy-mom, mommy-mom!" with the accent being on the first and last syllable, kind of like MOM-mee-MOM.

I wonder what's next?  I sure hope he's not ready to start calling us plain old "mom" and "dad" yet…because that would make him seem more grown up than I'm ready for him to be yet.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That's funny! It's like he's trying to make the words sound a little more snazzy. Nora calls me Mom all the time. "Okay, mom" when I tell her to do something (or "Don't be mean to me, Mom" if I tell her something she doesn't want to do). It's like having a little teenager.