Saturday, November 17, 2012

Tis the season...

...for being merry and spending quality time with family.  However, I don't think many families can have those wonderful things that go along with the holidays without some stress and panic too.  From year-to-year the holidays are just a really busy time of year.  From traveling to see family, finding time to shop for holiday gifts, attending holiday parties, and then also trying to fit in all the normal hustle and bustle of our daily lives.

This year is no exception for me.  Only with a little one I have less time to shop.  And my travel schedule is much more intense than in the past.   We are going to spend Thanksgiving with my sister in Hawaii, then I am going to a work conference almost literally right after we get back from paradise.  Then we are traveling home for the Christmas holidays and again, almost right after I'm back I will be going to another work conference!  So I'm already trying to start planning my holiday shopping, and will most likely take care of many of the gifts by shopping online.  I am also already planning my work schedule out into January, given that I will be out of the office more than I'm in the office over the next month and a half!  If I can get just a few things checked off my work to do list, and manage to get us packed and ready for our first trip, then I will be feeling a little bit better about it all.  At least I compiled a packing check list tonight to help me feel less worried we'll forget something.

Regarding our upcoming travel, I'm still awfully nervous about taking a toddler on the long flight.  He hasn't flown since he was 5 months old (back when he'd basically sleep the whole way) and now that he's very mobile and building a very strong (aka demanding) personality, this could spell trouble.  I've purchased some new toys (common advice I received from other moms), and of course we'll pack loads of books and snacks.

The three new toys I got are:

Chicco Twist and Turn Rattle: While this is aimed at 3 months plus, I thought Evan may like it for it rattles (he's into rattling things lately), it has turn cranks on it (he likes that kind of thing too) and one end of it has a push button that squeaks (just like he's into turn cranks, he likes push buttons as well).  For its small size, I figured it was worth a try.  (Note: I got it at Target for half the price amazon carries it for...I've noticed small toys are not very cheap on amazon so I shop around.  The big stuff is usually unbeatable on amazon though).

Melissa and Doug Magnetic Hide and Seek Farm:  I got this because Evan recently has really started to like magnets (plus I figured it'd be harder to lose magnetic pieces) and he loves lift the flap books, so I thought this could be a fun mix for him.  I also bought a small separate tin for him to stick the magnets on or store them in just in case this board becomes cumbersome (the downsize for a travel item).

Lauri Toys Toddler Tote: While I read in the reviews that the tote itself isn't very handy for travel (I figure I'll just take a select few pieces in a gallon size ziploc), most users rated this as a great travel toy set.  It's lightweight, colorful, and supposedly kept many toddlers entertained for hours.  We'll see about that, but I figured I'd give them a try.  I'll probably skip bringing the pegs for now, as they may be a bit small for Evan still.

I'm also compiling a photo "brag book" (or small plastic photo album) of family photos.  Evan's become more interested in the photos on our fridge and a friend suggested this could be a good way to spend time.  We will also have things loaded on John's tablet for Evan to watch/play, though he's really not into the games on that just yet.  Nonetheless, anything electronic (our cell phones, ipod, or the tablet) will interest in for awhile at least.  I also envision he'll be getting to know the people in the aisle seats well, as he'll probably want to walk up and down the plane a lot.

I do hope that he might nap on the first flight (afternoon) and then sleep more on the second (into the night).  On the way there we are in first class (thanks to buying the ticket with miles!), but Evan will be on our laps.  I'm already prepared that everyone in first class will hate us for having brought a toddler into their elite cabin. :(  On our return it's a direct flight, all overnight, and he'll have his own seat so I hope he'll sleep most of it tucked into his car seat.

With as busy as this holiday season is shaping up to be, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to post blogs, but I'll still aim for at least once per week.  And I'll definitely include a debriefing of all of the travel and holiday experiences.  Okay, now that I've gotten this rant off my chest (and made that check list)...time to let the holidays begin!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Good luck with the long flight! It's mostly gone okay for us with lots of toys to distract, but it is very exhausting. The Lauri tote looks cool! I might have to try that one out.

We should definitely get together at AGU. Plus I might need to get your input on some career stuff!

Courtney said...

I got one of those Chicco rattles in a toy set on Woot a couple of months ago - still waiting for Owen to be interested :) How did the flight go?