Monday, October 29, 2012

Naughty little monkey

I just revealed on Facebook that Evan's going to be a monkey this year for Halloween.  We took him out in his costume Saturday to the Longmont Halloween parade (post-parade festivities only, since he napped during the parade) and then to NCAR's Super Science Saturday.  Let me tell you, he sure took the role of being a monkey to heart!  He wouldn't sit still, kept wanting to walk away from me (and fast too!), threw fits when I retrieved him, and so on and so on.  I was exhausted after the three-hour outing.

"Come on mom, I'm ready to go"

My little monkey has a black eye, poor thing! (The cheek bruise from his rough weekend did end up moving over into a black eye)

Getting ready for some monkey business

Nonetheless, he sure was cute in his costume.  While I was annoyed he kept walking away from me, the rear view of this little monkey was pretty adorable (curly tail and all)!  He does say "ah ah ah" when we ask what a monkey says, so I thought he'd be able to add sound to his costume, however he declined to do that in front of anyone on Saturday.


This little monkey found some snow!


What I find most hilarious about the whole monkey thing, though, is that yesterday Evan started saying "nah tee, nah tee, nah tee".  It first started when he was playing with his plush toy monkey, perhaps because in one of his books (Dear Zoo) the monkey is sent back to the zoo for being "too naughty"?  Thus, he's definitely heard this word related to monkeys before, but he has also heard it used many times toward him when he's being naughty.  He says it in his higher-pitched (angel) voice so it is really cute to hear him say it.  Anyway, last night after his bath he was running around naked carrying a hair brush in his hand and avoiding us because he didn't want his diaper on yet.  Then suddenly he stopped, faced us, and started bouncing while saying "nah tee, nah tee, nah tee".  I know you're not supposed to laugh when your kids do naughty things that are funny, but there was no way John and I could hold it in.  It was the cutest and funniest thing he could have done at that moment!

I do hope that our naughty little monkey isn't so naughty on Wednesday, but at least we don't have any big plans for Halloween if he does decide to continue playing up the naughty part of his costume.  We might go "trick or treat" to a few neighbors' homes, but otherwise we'll just be home giving out candy to the kids who come to our door so our little monkey can be on the loose safely inside our home.

Pardon the blurriness, this little monkey wouldn't hold still for long!

Monkeying around with Daddy at NCAR