Friday, March 9, 2012

Evan's first good day at daycare

I suppose all it took was for me to have a bad morning, worrying about how Evan is doing at daycare, for him to finally have a great day at daycare!  Being that it's Friday, I was very happy to finish work for the week and hit the road to pick Evan up.  I seemed to have missed him more than normal today.  I found myself staring at the framed photos of him on my desk more than usual, and just daydreaming about his smile and his laugh and looking forward to my weekend with him.

When I arrived to pick him up, it was a busy time again.  There was another parent picking up her child before me, so I knew my daycare provider most likely had a busy day!  When I got inside she had Evan and the other 8-month-old in the front room with her, and Evan was in her arms.  She told me right away "this was a whole different Evan today!"  She said he napped for at least 2 hours and didn't cry every time she put him down!  She was so excited about how good her day was going that she said she even called her husband to tell him about it!

I was shocked, but also so relieved.  Talk about news that I needed to hear!  My heart swelled with pride as I buckled Evan into his car seat, telling him how good of a boy he was.  He smiled at me even with his pacifier in his mouth and then went back to playing with his teething beads and ring of links.

It figures that just when I feel things aren't going well he proves me wrong, and in such a good way.  I know there will probably still be some bad days, but I also hope that these good days become more regular.  When it's just John or I at home with him, he has good days almost every day.  We are so lucky and thankful that he's such a good boy.

To celebrate the happy ending to my day (and work week), John, Evan, and I went out to dinner tonight.  And, just as I figured he would be, Evan was great.  He sat in his car seat and played with his toys until he got sleepy, and then fell asleep.  It was his bedtime by the time he drifted off and he didn't fuss once.  Again, we are so lucky and thankful that he's such a good boy.

I'm so glad that today Evan gave his daycare provider a taste of the good boy that he is, and that hopefully it means he's feeling more comfortable there and that he is indeed happy there too.  So my day went from a low to a high, but the best part is that I'm on the good news high right now so I know I can go to sleep with my mind at ease tonight.  And on top of that, Evan and I get to spend the next three days together.

1 comment:

Elly said...

This made me cry... I can't wait to see Evan!!