Monday, May 29, 2017

Evan graduates Kindergarten!

Last Wednesday was Evan's last day of kindergarten.  They just had a half-day of school (everyone was dismissed after lunch) and the parents were invited for an "author celebration" just before lunch time.  We got to see a project the kids did where they made books all about something.  Evan's was all about planes.  They read their books to us.  Then we watched a movie that had photos taken throughout the year.  I admit that when the movie first started, the music was a bit sappy and they were starting with the first day of kindergarten pictures, so realizing that it was now their last day of kindergarten I did have a few tears well up in my eyes.  After the photos moved onto other class activities and fun events I was able to contain myself, but it was fun to see all of the things they did throughout the year.  We were really lucky that Evan got such a great teacher this year, and I still can't believe how much he has grown over the year.  To think when he started school he didn't know how to read a single word and now he can read books and random words he sees.  He can also do math, which he is good at and seems to like.

Last day of school picture before leaving for school

For lunch we went outside and had a picnic.  Evan asked me to bring him KFC mac n cheese and mini corn dogs for his lunch.  We brought a picnic blanket which was flooded with kids from his class, many of which had parents who worked at the school and couldn't sit with them.  It was really hot in the sun, so John got our sun umbrella out of the car part way through, but I still managed to get  a bad sunburn on my shoulders. :( Once we were all in the shade, it was really a beautiful day to be outside.

Evan and his teacher, Mrs. Lennert, at the end of school picnic

After lunch, the 5th graders vs teachers kickball game had started, so we moved there to watch part of that, but then we decided to head out and get ice cream!  We went to Baskin Robbins and Evan chose the pink bubblegum flavor.  It had small bits of bubble gum in it, so he kept spitting them out on his napkin.  I think that's probably better than him swallowing them?  I still can't believe it had actual pieces of gum in it! Evan's been allowed to chew bubble gum for several months now, but he knows not to swallow it, so I'm glad he followed that rule and just spit those pieces out, yet it was kind of messy (and a little gross seeing him spit it out every other bite!).

Celebratory ice cream cone!

After ice cream it was time to go home and start packing for our road trip!  More on that coming soon...

No comments: