Sunday, May 8, 2016

Thoughts on Mother's Day 2016

I have been blessed twice with the gift of carrying and birthing a child.  This is a gift that not all women receive, and so for that I am thankful.  My children are healthy and for that I am also thankful.  Now that they are getting a little older, they play with each other.  While I'd like to say this means they nicely take turns and share toys and play games together, that is not the case.  They fight, get on each other's nerves, and they whine and cry (and then whine and cry some more).  It totally gets on my nerves, yet, I am still thankful that they have each other.

When I woke up this morning, Evan was waiting at my bedside with the "Mother's Day Journal" that John started last year.  They drew a bit in it, but mostly answered some questions that John asked.  I love it and can't wait to see how those answers change over the years.  They also got me some beautiful pink tulips and Godiva chocolates, and John made a yummy breakfast.  I'm definitely thankful for John and how he cares for our kids and me.  

Today both kids worked hard and learned some new things.  Evan did his homework for school and learned his vowels and then concentrated to color in a color-by-number worksheet. It took him a long time and lots of encouraging to keep him focused, but he did it!  And I was really proud of him because it was the first time I'd seen him color in and stay mostly in the lines!  Emma learned how to match colors and draw lines between two matching colors in her colors workbook.  She picked it up really quickly and ended up filling out all the pages with color matching activities.  Since I wanted to reward Evan for putting in such an effort and Emma for doing so well too, I gave each of the kids some of the gifts I've been holding onto for special occasions.  They each got a new sand play toy: Evan an excavator and Emma a dump truck.  They went outside to play with them in the pile of rocks in our driveway (there because we're in the middle of a landscaping project).  They played together quite nicely with their new toys!  Evan would load up a rock and move it over and dump it into Emma's truck.  I am thankful the weather was so nice for them to be able to play outside.

A bit tired of it, but look how good he was doing staying in the lines!


Playing together

Each year I always like to try to get a photo of me and the kids, in part because I'm often not in the photos with my kids since I'm typically the photographer, and each year it seems like the same story...the kids won't sit with me for a nice photo! So while both kids wouldn't sit together at the same time for a photo (yet at least), I am glad I did get a picture with each kid by themselves.   Evan was even the photographer for the photos taken with Emma.  Unfortunately, she wasn't in the mood to sit still for a picture, so there weren't many that turned out. However, he did get one pretty good shot.  


Taken by Evan...little Miss Emma didn't really want her picture taken

Since on Mother's Day it also honors the Grandmas and Nannas, I thought this was a good time to share this gem of a photo I got of Emma snuggling Nanna while we were on that recent trip to Australia.  During that trip, my children were able to get to know and play with their Nanna, Grampy, Poppy, aunts and uncles and cousins.  They are so loved by so many, and for that I am very thankful.  

Emma loves her Nanna!

No comments: