Saturday, February 20, 2016

Emma's accent and an update

There are so many aspects of toddlerhood that make a parent wish we could freeze time.  And then there are plenty of aspects still that make us long for the day that our children are older and supposedly more independent.  Lol.  But right now I want to wallow in one of those aspects that make me want to make time freeze still.  Emma is just so stinking cute right now and her toddler speak is a big part of that.  Granted, she speaks pretty well for her age I think.  I feel like most people can understand her, and she learned how to speak with proper pronouns quite awhile ago.  Nonetheless, there are just some spoken sounds that take awhile for kids to say properly and in the mean time, cute pronunciations (or mispronunciations in many cases) are the result.

In fact, just this past weekend Emma was asking if a hotel we passed had an "alligator", and Evan was in the backseat correcting her to say "elevator".  He was doing a great job slowly sounding out the word properly, but she would reply saying "alligator".  Incidentally, Evan used to pronounce "elevator" the exact same way.  I'm not sure how recently he started saying it correctly actually.

Other cute (mis)pronunciations are:

Hungry : "hung-ghe"
Oatmeal: "opymeal" (better than opium, right? lol)
Dessert: "bizzert" (and let me tell you, she loves herself some "bizzert" after every meal!)
Shhh quiet:  "shhh cai-et"
Hotel: "hoe-tail" (she sounds like she has a Southern accent when she says it...hilarious!)

In other news

Since I haven't written an Emma update in awhile, I'll add in a few other items of note since today marks her 29 month birthday: 

Firsts:
--Sleeping in her bed as a toddler bed (not a fully enclosed crib!)
--Bowling (during our Wisconsin trip)
--She went sledding on a sled by herself
--She made her first snow angel 



1) When she went sledding, on a sled by herself, for the first time she loved it.  On her second time down, however, she spun around backward and crashed and she got snow sprayed up in her face.  She wasn't keen to go again that day.  But the next day, she was back wanting more.

2) She now can say my full name, and she does so often.  In fact, she'll say something like "Thank you, my Sarah T____" after I've given her a glass of water.  So it's not just that she knows my first and last name now, but she also considers me hers. :)

3) She still loves her Raffi (giraffe) given he still occupies space in her bed, but she more often wants to snuggle her puppies.  She has two puppies, one a golden retriever puppy stuffed animal she got for her birthday, and a new weiner dog puppy stuffed animal that also has a few straps and a zipper to be a small kiddie handbag. Sometimes she'll carry all three (including Raffi too), but she will not go to bed without her puppies in her crib.  What I love most is she gave one of them a name!  She calls the golden retriever "Maya".  Ironically (I think not) that is the name of Alanis and Alex's dog that we saw during our visit to Wisconsin!  When I ask her what the other dog's name is she says "two".  I think she's getting "what is your name?" confused with "how old are you?", but either way, she's done this on multiple occasions so we now call him "two".  I sometimes call it "two two" or "tutu".  She loves to have her puppies give us kisses on the face, and sometimes she even likes to lift Maya's tail and stick Maya's bottom in our faces just to see our disgusted response.  


Maya and Two in her arms (you can only see Two's straps in these photos).

4) Emma is very good at playing games with us.  In particular, she is very good at Zingo.  She can play entirely by herself looking at the pictures of things as they come up and knowing what she needs on her card. She gets very excited when she sees something she needs...making fists with her hands and tensing her entire body as she yells out the word.  I got a video of this the other day...so glad I caught this super cute moment.  In my second video, not only did she get the last tile she needed, she knew to yell "Zingo" right after she did it indicating she'd won!

Watch video of the kids playing Zingo here.
Watch video of Emma winning Zingo here.

5) A few weeks ago John randomly decided to take Emma's crib side off and replace it with her toddler rail.  She has not really shown much eagerness to climb out of the crib, so I would have been happy to keep her in the crib longer, but he pointed out that we should get her used to sleeping with a rail since she'll have her own twin mattress with guard rail when we go to Australia soon.  And of course, just like Evan, she still doesn't leave her bed on her own yet, even though she could.  I don't know if it's habit to wait for us to come get her from the full crib days or if she just doesn't fully realize she can get out of her room entirely on her own now, but she just rolls around or sits up and waits, or tells us to come get her.  That's fine with me....I'll take that as long as I can! :)

6) Emma is such a helper and she loves shoes.  Therefore, when it's time to leave the house, she loves to help set out our shoes for us.  I'll often find Evan's shoes sitting on the carpet waiting for him, and my boots set out.  She doesn't always choose the shoes I am going to wear, but she is very gracious to replace them with the ones I want when I ask her to.  Here is a photo where she had set out my boots, John's shoes, and she was getting down Evan's from the shoe rack the other day.




7) Emma is still doing well at tumbling classes that she started in November. In fact, this past month we had a breakthrough moment when she finally started swinging on the bar!  Prior to this she never wanted to hang or swing on it.  Now she does it all the time without issue.  It was a great day for her to do it too, since she was the line leader (showing all the other kids what the exercises for the day were with the help of the teacher).  When it came time for the bar I was skeptical she'd do it, but she did!  She loved kicking the balloon while hanging that day.  Since then she's learned how to possum hang and jump up and over the bar (supporting your tummy on it).




Emma the line leader being shown what to do

Emma practicing her tuck swings all by herself!

Growth and Development
Emma is wearing size 2T clothes and size 7 shoes.  She may be able to start wearing size 7.5, but size 8 is still quite big on her.  She had recently changed to wear size 2T/3T Pampers Easy Ups instead of diapers.  We haven't gotten a good start on potty training yet though, but hope to when we have time off in Australia soon.

Emma can get her pants and pull up on and off by herself.  She can also get her boots on and off by herself.  She can get her socks off, but needs help putting them on.  She can drink from a "big girl" cup (both hands) very well and has even tried to learn how to cut food with her little knife and fork. She is such a good helper (gets tissues for anyone in need, picks up after playing with toys) and she's so resourceful.  For example, I asked her to turn off her bedroom light one night.  I expected her to ask me to pick her up so she could reach, but instead she went and got a stool from the bathroom, moved her laundry basket out of the way to set the stool down, got on the stool to turn off the light, then she proceeded to take the stool back to the bathroom, and when she came back to her room she moved her laundry basket back to where it was.  What a girl!

No comments: