Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Emma at age 2

Two weeks ago, Emma turned 2.  My little baby girl is growing up so fast...she definitely is more "little girl" than baby.  She talks, dances, sings, laughs, plays pretend, as well as pushes our buttons on occasion (when she doesn't want to do something). She is really at such a fun age and I'm loving every second I have with her!


Our little helper

Firsts:
--First ride on a train (at "Day out with Thomas") the week after her birthday

Growth and Development
Emma is a healthy, growing girl.  At her 2-year doctor check up she weighed 27 pounds (70th percentile) and was measured at 35.75 inches tall (93rd percentile), though she was wearing her shoes for the height measurement (which is why I'm guessing she is such a high percentile).  She's wearing size 24 month/2T clothes and size 6-6.5 shoes.  She is in size 5 Pamper's diapers.

Emma has started letting us do her hair, which I think having her daycare provider fix it for her every day at daycare started to really help her get used to it. I think she looks so grown up when she has her hair up in pigtails or pulled back in some way.


My girl in pigtails, with her brother, waiting for the popcorn to pop!

She is starting to enter the phase of having fears now. Previously we thought that she was just completely fearless and maybe we had done a better job of not overprotecting her such that we were causing her to be afraid of things (like we felt we may have done with Evan), but now strange and/or random things will suddenly frighten her. [And I've recently read this is common at this age, so John and I feel better that we didn't cause the fears in Evan as much!] Whether it be a loud sound like Thomas's train whistle (from when we saw Thomas the train recently...post still forthcoming), or a statue or some strange figure she's not familiar with (even a dark tree), she insists on us picking her up and she gets pretty scared. Sometimes she'll tell us "I don't want to be scared", so I tell her she doesn't have to be, but she is anyway.  She even got scared of a little chipmunk when we were at Rocky Mountain National Park this past month after we told her not to go too close because it could bite.  Now that was our fault for mentioning it could bite, but she got really scared after that, to the point she wouldn't set down at the picnic table on her own if it was near us.


She's learning how to brush her own teeth fairly well, especially her front teeth. And she seems to want to use the potty when she has to go poop, but then she usually gets scared once you put her on the potty and wants off.  Nonetheless, she has gone a few times on the potty so far, which is a good first step I think.

Emma sure talks up a storm now.  She can crank out long, full sentences.  She also likes to sing and dance, but she also likes to tell others to dance (when she hears music she'll right away tell someone, usually me, to dance).  Her dancing is pretty cute...mostly arm movements while she bounces up onto one foot and back down nearly to the beat.  She sings along with several songs (usually just pipes up on a few key words here and there).  She can sing her ABCs, though she doesn't get every letter perfectly she can sing this the whole way through on her own.  She can also count nearly up to 10, however missing a few numbers along the way. She knows the sounds of most animals.

Hanging out and having a snack with a friend.


She likes to close doors right now. She is a very good helper still, when we ask her or Evan to do things she usually jumps right to it. She is just very good natured and sweet.  One recent morning I was in bed not feeling well and she came in to see me while she was still holding Raffi and her little blanket for Raffi under one arm and her breakfast waffle in her other hand.  She would take a bit of her waffle, then put it in the hand of the arm holding Raffi so she had a free hand to reach up and rub my arm.  She did this over and over again, it was the sweetest thing.  She also gets so happy to see me when she first wakes up and when I first come home.  I really wish I could freeze this age with her and keep her just like this forever.

LOVE!

Sleep time
Emma sleeps with Raffi every night and she likes Raffi to get tucked under her blanket with her.  She often also tells me to kiss him and hug him before I leave the room.  We're very lucky in that she still naps every afternoon for 1.5-3 hours and still goes down very easily for most naps and bedtimes.

Meal time
She can drink out of a cup no lid, and will drink milk just fine now. She still eats really well, sometimes eating more than Evan in a given meal. So she really likes yogurt, and sometimes she doesn't want to eat what we serve her for dinner and rather she just asks for yogurt.  She also really likes watermelon (she did not get that from me!).




Play time
Emma loves to play with her babies and Raffi.  She'll cover her babies and Raffi and a blanket, which usually is a cloth diaper or a washcloth that she found. Recently I found a small "lovey" blanket that she had been given and I set it out in her room for her thinking I'd suggest she use it for her babies.  I didn't need to make the suggestion, because she found it and has immediately taken it to become her baby dolls blanket now.  Just in general, she loves Raffi.  In fact, as I write this she's snuggling Raffi on the couch with Daddy and Evan.

Snuggling Daddy and Raffi while Daddy reads a bedtime story.

She wants to do whatever Evan and other kids are doing.  For example, if Evan's riding his bike outside, she'll scoot along on the sidewalk on the plasma car.  She even tried scooting on Evan's "Dusty" 3-wheeled scooter the other day.  She did well, but didn't really go far for each scoot.  She can finally reach the peddles of the tricycle now so I hope she'll soon learn to peddle and ride that on her own.  Until then, I still push her on it using the push bar.

Riding her plasma car and helmeted up in her new helmet for a tricycle ride to the park.

She is very good at pretend play. For example, she likes to pretend that she's pouring something into a cup with her toy teacups and then she serves it to me and wants me to pretend drink it. Then she'll have her turn, filling it up and pretend drinking it, and then she'll fill it up for me again. Or she'll pretend to give me food off of a toy plate and want me to pretend to eat it too.

Emma still likes to read books and have books read to her and she likes to do puzzles on occasion too.  She also likes to play with sunglasses.  Mine or hers it doesn't matter.  She just loves putting them on herself.  I'm wondering if the dress up days will be in our near future as she learns how to do more dressing by herself and gets deeper into pretend play!



As I said earlier, she's at such a fun age.  I can't get enough of her and the cute little things she does.  Loving every minute of being a mommy to this beautiful little girl!


No comments: