Sunday, September 27, 2015

Emma's 2nd Birthday: Part I--Party time!

I normally like to first blog about the party prep for my kids' birthday parties, and then lead into a post about the party itself.  However, I really just need to get a post out about Emma's birthday in general!  It's been such a hectic week since her birthday (short recap: Sunday--Emma's birthday/party, Evan gets sick, Monday--I leave for 4-day work trip, Tuesday--Emma gets sick, Thursday--I return home in time for John to get sick, Friday--John very sick and even went to hospital that evening, Saturday--Evan double header soccer games, John still recovering, Sunday/today--We went for a "Day out with Thomas", more on that in an upcoming post).

So, without any further ado, here is a quick recap of Emma's 2nd birthday and party.  As you'll see, the theme was a puppy "pawty".  I'll describe all of the decor and ideas in an upcoming post, but you'll see in the pictures below that my main highlight of the party (i.e. the one DIY thing I made) was her "pupcakes".  

We had bubbles for the kids to blow, giant bubbles for the dad's to blow for the kids too, we made balloon animals, and we just played outside and snacked.  We learned quickly that the inflated balloons popped if left in the sun, and it seems some of the kids were trying to pop theirs after a little while. We also had a real live puppy dog attend the pawty, which was a hit for Emma.  Before we had cake we came inside briefly to play the pin the paw on the puppy game.  I got it because the puppy poster was so cute and a great extra bit of decor for the wall, but Emma didn't get any instructions on what to do, but got the first go (without a blindfold, like the older kids) and got it right on the mark!

Emma checking out the pawty food table before her pawty.

My birthday girl.

Giant bubble fun!


Yep, we had a real puppy at the pawty and Emma loved it! :) 



Spinning!




Lots of balloon animals!

Right on the mark!

Time for cake!  Emma was pretty excited to have a cake just for her.  She also did a great job blowing out the candle.  So great that I didn't get a photo of the first time, so we let her do a few extras for photos.  I bought a "colossal cupcake" decorated in purple frosting for her #2 candle to go in, since the pupcakes didn't have much space on top for a big candle.  But then we served everyone the pupcakes.  Emma had said they were "so cute" when she first saw them earlier in the morning, but when it was time to eat one, she wasn't sure how!  She ended up pulling off the cookie ears, and then eventually dug into the cupcake underneath.





Wasn't as sure what to do with the pupcake, but she managed to get the cookies off to eat first.



Emma loved all of her gifts!  She definitely knew what to do to open them and she wanted to play with most everything right away!  She was on such a (perhaps sugar) high from her party that she didn't want to nap right away, so we ended up letting her play with a few of her toys while we skyped with my sister.  Emma got new puzzles, her first My Little Pony's, a new puppy stuffed animal, books (including one with a CD player which she tells everyone to dance to!), pajamas, and decor for her room.  It was a good time and I'm so glad she had so much fun!



She seemed to really like her new "Frozen" fork and spoon.


Excited to open her new puppy dog! 

She had to give her new puppy dog lots of hugs right away!

No comments: