Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day 2015

I'll eventually get caught up with my other blogging, but in the meantime just wanted to share a quick post about my Mother's Day today.  It started out waking up with one kid sharing the bed with us (Evan), who then went down to watch TV (on his own...he can run the TVs and remote controls better than me probably!) and John started cooking breakfast, while I lazily lounged in bed (a special treat for sure!).  Then I got a text message from John that included this lovely photo, enticing me to what was waiting for me in the dining room.  Can't beat a nice home-cooked breakfast and fresh flowers that Evan helped John pick out!  (John and Evan had also picked out a yummy chocolate cake for me that we saved for dessert after dinner.)


I also awoke to yet another "Mother's Day snowstorm", although luckily it didn't leave us with too much wet heavy snow and since I hadn't planted my vegetable garden yet I wasn't as worried as last year!  Nonetheless, I am still worried about my apple tree and had to cover my strawberries, which have come back with a vengeance already this year!

Just a bit of the heavy, wet, white stuff...it melted off completely by mid-day

John and Evan also gave me another nice gift today...a Mother's Day Journal.  I had read about this last year as something to get instead of cards.  It's personalized by whatever your kids draw, write, etc in it each year, so it will be a place to compile memories, photos, and the like over the years.  Here you can see the kids were drawing me some pictures in it.  Evan had one page and Emma the opposite page, but as you can see in the photo I snapped below, Evan was "helping" Emma on her page while she grabbed a new color. lol.  You might also notice that Evan is switching off using different hands between the two photos below.  I think he typically writes with his right hand, but he eats and does a lot with his left too, such that I have no idea what hand he'll eventually use as his primary writing hand!

He sticker-a-fied himself earlier, using the stickers from the Connect Four game.

We spent the morning at the indoor recreation center pool, which was a fun way for me to see how great Evan is getting at front floats and "zooming" (pushing himself off and then front floating/swimming on his tummy).  We picked up Freddy's burgers and frozen custard for lunch on the way home and then while the kids napped I did a little shopping!  (I hit up the local JBF kids consignment sale to load up on clothes for Evan, and then went swimsuit shopping for myself....eeks!).

And as it was last year, getting a nice photo of me and my kids isn't easy.  We easily took 20 and this was probably the best.  Emma didn't look at the camera hardly in any, but I can't blame her.  She's running a fever!  Not sure what is going on yet, but we realized at the pool that she was shivering a lot, and then felt her forehead seemed hot.  We gave her tylenol then at the pool and by the time we were home she seemed a bit better, but slept for nearly 4 hours for her nap!  By the time she awoke, she had a 101.3 F fever and needed more tylenol.  We just put her to bed and just before that she fell asleep cradled in my arms in the rocking chair.  It was definitely not fun to know she wasn't feeling well (especially having taken her to the pool not knowing she was getting sick), but I do love the extra cuddles.

Mother's Day 2015

No comments: