Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Moving forward: Emma's turn

I find it quite ironic that exactly two years ago (to the day!) I wrote a post called "Moving forward" and here I am tonight writing one of the same title, only now it's Emma's turn.  It is official...Emma has started to move in the forward direction.  While it certainly is not a perfect crawl yet, it is movement in the direction she's been wanting so badly to go.  She's been making progress on this task for the past several days, but today I caught it on video, and I might add that she showed off some new crawling skills in this video that I had not seen before.  In particular, she got up on hands and knees!  That was a first for her (at least that I've seen).  Prior to this she was getting up on her knees to push herself forward, but her chest was still down.  Then I love her little "inchworm" move that she does next in the video to get her the last few inches closer to the toys she so desired.

Link to video of "Our little inchworm"

In looking back at the similar post I made for Evan two years ago, and watching the video of him doing his "worm", I realize they have a very similar style in their forward movement.  However, given that Emma already got up on hands and knees, I'm wondering if she'll soon figure out that it's a lot faster than inching her way around worm style.

Regardless, the same is true of when Evan starting crawling...we have to childproof the house!  Nothing is safe anymore!  While we haven't really un-childproofed the house since Evan was a baby, Evan is the loose cannon here.  He could easily leave something on the floor that is a choking hazard for Emma and that's what makes me the most nervous.  Up until now I could lay her on the floor to play and be pretty confident that the floor around her was safe.  Now if she can go explore on her own, I can't leave her alone long because I worry what if Evan were to leave something out that I didn't see that she can now find.  Life is about to get a whole lot more hectic, I mean interesting. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Go Emma! It will be so much fun (right?) when they are both mobile.