Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Marvels

1. Yesterday morning I gave Evan a back scratch while we were laying in my bed.  I told him back scratches are so nice to get the itch out....a short while later he said "again" wanting another back scratch.  While I was doing it, he said "itch out".  Amazing how quickly he can pick up on things!

2. Yesterday for lunch Evan asked for water to drink.  I told him I'll get him fresh cold water.  He said "ice in it"...so I put ice it in too.  When and/or how did my boy learn that ice goes in water and makes it colder?

3. Yesterday afternoon, after Evan's nap, I came into his room and asked if we could lay down together for a little bit (I was still quite tired myself, though he had slept for over 1.5 hours already...).  He began to cry.  I told him I can't understand him when he cries and asked for him to tell me what was wrong with words.  He stopped crying and said "I'm done...crib".  Then he said "I want...play toys".   I was able to acknowledge that's what he wanted and asked if he could snuggle me for a few minutes and then we'd go downstairs and play with toys.  It worked...he did it without a fight, giving me just a few more minutes to relax.  I do love the fact that he can communicate much better with us now!

4. Evan loves to "sing" his ABC's when the ABC song is on.  Yesterday, he was playing at a friend's house and kept playing the ABC song on their leap frog musical table, so he could chime in with "G", "P", "S", "V", "X", and "Z", and sometimes even the "me" in the part about "next time won't you sing with me".  He definitely knows those letters that are emphasized most in the song.

5. Saturday morning we awoke around 7:20am to a strange sound (and it wasn't our son waking us up either!).  As John and I laid in bed listening, we could hear it going on and off several times, and then it'd stop.  Then a short time later start up again.  It dawned on me that it was a hot air balloon (after knowing a friend this happened to once).  Sure enough, we looked out our bedroom window and there was a hot air balloon hovering above our backyard.  As we searched for our phones to snap a photo, it drifted beyond the backyard trees out of sight.  So we went to one of our upstairs bedrooms to get a better look, and while doing so noticed (and heard) several others.  We were surrounded on all sides by balloons!  We took photos and watched them, and soon enough Evan was awake and so we got him out of his bed quickly to see them too.  He loved it (as he loves balloons, so hot air balloons fit right in there!).  Several of the balloons drifted east and found open spaces to land, but the one we first saw over our backyard ended up drifting back right over our house and landed just beyond some houses to our west.  So we ended up out in our front yard, in our pajamas, watching his balloon come down.  It appeared like it may be aiming to come down in the intersection near us, or even on the roofs of some houses to our west, but there is a field just west of those houses that it must have made it to.  Either way, Evan kept saying "balloons", "up", "loud"...yes they were quite loud when you're up that close to them!

Out the front (west) and the side (north) of our house.

After we woke Evan up...he loved looking out the back window at them.

Out the back (east) of our house on the left; then out the front (west) as the red/tan/blue one that was originally out the back, landed just beyond some nearby houses.

[Tried to get a video of this to upload, to showcase just how it all sounded, but technical difficulties is preventing this right now.  Will try later.]

No comments: