2. Speaking of waking up to fun surprises...it was snowing when we woke up! And it was coming down pretty good too! In fact, there is snow in our forecast for the next few days. It's April 15th (tax day!) and we just had a snow storm last week also, that for our neck of the woods didn't get much, but in places like Boulder, they got about a foot of snow. We definitely need the moisture, but can't it start coming as rain instead of snow? I'm ready for spring and summer!
3. I have recently mentioned that I got a nasty cold. Well, I find it amazing that while I'm in the middle of a sequence of horrendous and very loud sneezes, my son can be totally amused. He finds it hilarious when I sneeze, and tries to imitate me afterward by saying "chew!". At least someone can benefit from my misery. Please let this cold go away soon!
4. Evan has been saying something lately, that John and I can't quite figure out what it is. He says it at random various times, and it sounds something like "fah-kid-in". It's a distinctly three syllable word, or phrase, and if you didn't realize when you sound out my spelling of it, the beginning sounds kind of bad. I really don't think he's saying something with the actual f-word in it, but who knows! I keep wondering if maybe it's something in tagalog, since his daycare provider is from the Philippines and might speak some of her native language around the kids sometimes.
5. Despite me hoping Evan's not saying the f-word, I'm pretty sure he's saying the s-word when something bad happens. Take these examples where after these events he said something that sounded a lot like "sit": 1) he tried drinking water out of John's water bottle, spilling it all over his face and clothes, 2) he squirts his fruit puree from his pouch snack all over his tray table, and 3) he pushes the water dispenser on the fridge door (as his parents forgot to lock it!) and water shoots all down his arm.
6. Evan really has taken to doing his puzzles. He does them at least once per day, on his own accord. He often can get the pieces in all by himself, and fairly quickly, as he knows how to match the animals now. Yet occasionally, if he's got the board sideways, he'll try putting in the piece right side up from his perspective and get frustrated that it won't go in, despite him turning it a bit this way or that. Still, comparing his abilities to when I first brought that puzzle home amazes me, and I love watching him as he focuses on putting it together.
He also likes to do his caterpillar "puzzle" (also shown in photo above), though he's not getting the colors matched yet, he loves to be able to turn the whole thing once he gets all the pieces on it!
7. We recently got Evan a little chair and table (inspired by a friend of ours who found these at Walmart for just around $5 a piece!). Evan loves it. He eats his snacks in it now (sometimes even sitting in it and pulling the table up to him waiting for his food to be delivered!), and he also just sits in it to read on occasion. I love watching him "read" his favorite books!
8. Evan is getting really good lately at following our instructions. Usually this works best when he knows that his action will be rewarded with something he really wants (i.e. going outside, getting ice cream, etc). Thus, he's become very good at doing what we ask, in exchange for the next more exciting event. John even started this trick that works really well: tell him "do X first and then we'll do Y". Amazingly, this is working for a variety of things...after we present it to him that way, he'll do X (pick up, have a drink, etc) without a fuss and then he's definitely ready for Y!
9. We're getting ready to hire painters to paint our house. We have totally ruled out doing it ourselves, as our neighbor did that last year and watching how long it took him makes us feel like all the extra cost is WELL worth it! (Just the re-caulking alone would be quite the chore!) Any suggestions on colors? The drab light gray is too faint, and I want something more colorful (yet not too loud and crazy). I'd really like a red door and maybe matching red shutters. I'm leaning toward a brown or khaki tan color for the house, but might even consider a blue shade of sorts (maybe something with a tad bit of green, but that's not too dark overall)? I've never had to have a home painted before, so any tips would also be welcomed!
10. And to end today's list of random thoughts, updates, and the like, let me exclaim how much I love it when my son says something endearing to me. Remember when he started saying "luh-foo"? Well, sadly he stopped saying it very much over the past few months and just focused on saying "luff", which today as Evan was leaving for daycare morphed into a very grown-up sounding "love you"! Two distinct words, very well pronounced, and it melted my heart!




1 comment:
Haha, Nora calls me Amy all the time and it drives me nuts. I swear she does it because she knows it makes me mad! She never calls Kevin by his first name either... grr..
Post a Comment