Monday, May 28, 2012

A round of applause

While I was away on work travel for three days this week, I worried I would miss Evan doing something new.  It seems that almost every day he's showing off some new trick or skill.  I really can't say for sure that the new things he's doing now he didn't do for the first time while I was gone, but perhaps my ignorance is bliss? :)  Either way, he's been amazing me this week with all the neat things he's up to.

1) Evan's taking his own steps now when he's standing (assisted by us, of course, since he can't balance himself yet), and as of yesterday he even started attempting to do some cruising!  He started out balancing on our ottoman (where I had placed him), but then that wasn't enough so he grabbed onto my leg, and even then wanted to venture over to the couch.  When he would start to lose his balance he would either re-position his foot or grab on really tight to his balancing object (i.e. furniture or me!) until he was balanced again.  John and I were so proud to both be witnessing this together. 

2) He's started to really want to eat more finger foods, and at the same time is becoming a more picky eater.  Perhaps it is just that he is demanding finger foods by refusing his pureed baby foods, or perhaps it's also that he's not liking all of those baby foods either.  I tasted one today and it was bland, so I can't blame him for not wanting it.  However, sometimes it seems he puts up a fight even when it's a food he's eaten very willingly in the past.  The easy distraction is to give him some finger foods, which he eats very willingly, however not all of it makes it into his mouth!  Time to take the cover off the high chair seat!  And now we have a ritual of sweeping the floor and wiping out his chair after each meal!  Fun times!

Here is a video of Evan having fresh organic raspberries (he tried them yesterday and loved them, so we had to give it a go again today).

3) He's started clapping his hands, and he does it in response to me when I'm clapping too.  While he doesn't get much sound out between his open palms yet, he sure claps them energetically!

Here is a video of Evan having a ball clapping his hands after lunch time!

For all that Evan's learned in this past week, I think he deserves a round of applause.  And now when I applaud him, he can join right in! :)




2 comments:

Amy said...

I love the clapping! So cute!

Louise said...

He's so gorgeous when he's clapping and laughing, 'If you're happy and you know it clap you're hands!!'